(Newbie) Level 1 lesson1/2 South Wales Welsh help!

but ‘bo’ fi’ is ‘that I’ ?
So does ‘Bod’ on its own have a different meaning? (to be)

1 Like

That’s not a direct translation; there aren’t many direct translations between English and Welsh but instead a few ways of saying something similar. So where you would say “that I” in English, you say something roughly similar to “I am” in Welsh. Honestly, it’s probably best not to worry about it ;).

1 Like

‘Bod’ is one of our most flexible words - it is, as Hector says, ‘to be’, but you’ll also regularly see it used where the English would be ‘that’. The best thing is not to worry too much about rules, and just get used to the bits you practise in the lessons until it all starts to fall into place…:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh dear… In that case pretend I never asked haha :joy:

Ha ha. I hope it’s ok to post this as it’s not a school day -
In my local (English) dialect, which still retains some Old English, we also have -
The same word for learn and teach
Different words for to know something and to know someone.

1 Like

Shwmae @xxnicola1987xx, a chroeso i’r fforwm!

It looks like youre doing really well and facing many of the problems many of us here have faced when we first started doing the course, and tackling them triumphantly of course!
Although it is early days yet I’m sure, when you’re ready to try out your Welsh in conversation, there are quite a few meet-ups in or near your area you could attend to practice your Welsh at. The forum will usually announce the latest ones, and there is a weekly email you can subscribe to [here] (http://forms.aweber.com/form/99/904832899.htm).
You can also practice with a Skype partner if you wish. Just post on the forum that you wish to find one and await the replies!
It’s great to see you’re enjoying SSiW, and I wish you the best of luck with the rest of the course!

Gav :slight_smile:

1 Like