Newbie and speaking confidence

If you tag or send a private message to @billigog, he is lovely and is a patient and able Welsh listener and speaker and a stalwart of the Carmarthen group. And I strongy recommend working with a semi prepared script with a willing partner, face to face or via Skype.

1 Like

Shwmae @Sara_E_K!
I completely feel for you - just know that you are now part of an incredibly supportive bunch of learners and speakers on this here forum. They have helped me so, so much. :blush:
I learnt at Uni, and didnā€™t speak it. Actually I think I learnt to be afraid to speak because I was so worried about being out of my depth and being unable to cope with a ā€˜realā€™ speaker!
Things that helped me (apart from the complete godsend that is SSIW and my utter addiction to it) was to find another learner to practise with, as jenny354 pointed out - they understand the monumental challenge of overcoming your fears in order to be able to say even a few words. It also leads to some hilarious arm waving (if you are trying to NOT speak any English, that is), or the highly amusing ā€˜making it up as you go along, until you actually know the Welsh for somethingā€™!
Also, when you donā€™t understand something in English, you probably are much kinder to yourself about it than if you meet the same problem in another language. In English you would most likely ask for clarification with a ā€˜Sorry, I missed that bit.ā€™, instead of immediately blaming yourself for not understanding. I have found it really useful to be able to say (even if just to myself) ā€˜I didnā€™t understand a word of that!ā€™ and many other phrases like it.
In the wild as it were, the fear is that if you start a conversation you wonā€™t be able to hold up your end. How about just saying diolch when you are given your change in a shop, or hwyl when you leave? Gives you the chance to hear yourself say something, without the fear of having to do the whole thing in Welsh to start with.
Massive pob lwc to you, and keep at it!!

1 Like

Hi Sara, I feel for you! Shy and language learning are a tricky combination. I think finding someone who is learning too is a great help. Also, explaining you are learning before you try to speak takes the pressure off yourself and makes people kinder, I think.

1 Like

For the little itā€™s worth, I do hear people out and about in Bridgend using Welsh from time to time, although nothing like as often as Iā€™d like.

1 Like