New Year's Resolution - Aged Dragon's Quest!

And 2.03 with much mouth like goldfish and roughly right words in head, but refusing to emerge!

2 Likes

Oh hardly!!! i’m just a good bluffer!

Is it possible to lurk on Skype, listening unnoticed and not saying anything unless inspiration strikes?

1 Like

In a grwp chat of course. People will know you’re there but you don’t have to say anything.

1 Like

I’m not sure I should claim to have finished 2.04 - more wrong than right!

That’s fine - sounds as though you’re getting yourself to the cutting edge, where it will become harder and harder for you to keep believing in the process - because it feels out of control. So this is where we’re going to find out how hard you’re prepared to push…:wink:

I have got involved with trying to set my Skype up! Given my tech nohow, this is causing frustration all round! Doing 2.05 may be a blessed relief!

1 Like

Sorry @aran, I am forgetting EVERYTHING new! I think I’m going to have to repeat 2.01 to 2.04 before proceeding. I’m not sure I dare Skype other than to check if everything now works right!

You are ready to skype young lady!

Or you could trust the process, and carry on through to 2.10 or 2.15 before revisiting 2.01… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

We ALL feel like that during the levels!! I mean this from my experience: you do not know what you remember because you do not have the real experience of using it. This is exactly why you need conversations.

3 Likes

Started 2.05 again. “I didn’t know!” I thought “i do not know” was: Wn I ddim. So thought didn’t would be derived from that. Not so?

Gwybod and meddwl are different. They’re longer events in Welsh. So you say “I wasn’t knowing/thinking” “do’n i ddim yn gwybod/meddwl” - it translates as “I didn’t know/think”.

2 Likes

Perfect!
Or you can even say
Dw i’n dysgu fel y galla i wella
I am learning so that I can improve

which precisely mirrors your original! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s oedd o mor dew - remember never to use yn before mor, it replaces it instead! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Is this the same as “dal” for still?

It’s not a naughty habit, it’s a good habit - the word was originally nw, then the academics added a superfluous -h- by influence of the Literary Welsh equivalent hwy. Then later people started pronouncing the -h-, thinking they ought to because of the spelling! Nw is the true word, and what native speakers always used to say. Though I must admit the hypercorrection nHw is gaining ground in the media…

Lately I’ve heard some people on the media pronouncing the -b- in debt …exactly the same thing: the word was always pronounced det in English, then the academics added a -b- because the origin of the word way back is the Latin debitum, and now some people are beginning to think they ought to pronounce it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It’s that they are states of mind and not actions - that’s why we use the continuous past for them in Welsh - o’n i’n gwybod I knew, o’n i’n meddwl I thought but not in English, which doesn’t distinguish states and actions in the past tense like Welsh does (although it DOES, funnily enough, in the present tense, where Welsh doesn’t!!) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Mae’n ddrwg gei I! I think I have a personal quirk of liking rh, nh etc. I like the sound- never mind the grammar! Oh dear, what a thing to say to you! :wink: except you are very broad minded on the subject! But I am sorry for presuming what I liked was ‘more right’ than what I don’t like! Nasty dragon! :dragon_face:

2 Likes

I have slowed down with all my tangles with Skype. Only half way through 2.05 and don’t expect to do anymore until Dydd Llun!