New Year's Resolution - Aged Dragon's Quest!

Nothing!

Everyone has energy ebbs and flows. If a particularly day just feels bad, just wait and have another shot another day… :slight_smile:

Word order - mostly it won’t interrupt meaning - and you’ll fine tune it when you get yourself into enough conversations… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Dear helpful @aran, I still auto use gyda for with. I Think efo changes, but gyda doesn’t
Am I copping out too much by using gyda
Would I be easily understood in the north using gyda or
Should I bite the bullet and force myself to remember to use efo?
ps persevering by starting 2.18 again with no pauses just stops for good reason!

1 Like

No!

Yes!

No!

2 Likes

Wel, 2.18 wneud! Got a bit hairy at the end and small poodle dog now attackiing iPad because she’s fed up’with watching Sunday’s Cyw with hardly any sound,while I mutter at this nasty talky-thing!
ps what is Welsh idiom for ‘fed up’ in that sense?

No, efo doesn’t change either. It’s gan / gyn that changes! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dwi wedi cael llond bol (i think!)

2 Likes

Diolch! By total chance I heard it on S4C last night, I think on R&R!

I see why you told us to hang on to our brains for 2.19! @aran! Have paused for breath! Poor brain in pain!

1 Like

Wel, @aran 2.19 sort of done or I am too done in to care how badly! Now I shall collapsicate in front of Roy Noble and Gwaith Cartref!

2 Likes

This started as ‘New year’s resolution’ , it’s now the first of March,
a simple calculation suggests by the first of June you will be asking Aran for course 4.

Cheers J.P.

4 Likes

Fair play @henddraig has done really well.

2 Likes

No, @Pete2, I’ve just ‘done’, not well! If had done well, on finding myself suddenly seemingly Skype called by you, I would have thought of something to say yn y Gymraeg!

There’s plenty of good research that shows that negative framing has a negative impact on learning - so although you may feel this kind of ‘playing yourself down’ is just part of how you like to do things, you’re paying a real (and unnecessary) price for it.

1 Like

I looked on the bright side after 2.18, I really felt that ended up going OK. 2.19 did not! I am a realist - I am a scientist! But I do try to notice what I get right, when I do!

But you’re not actually applying the scientific method here - you’re giving in to an emotional response, the exact opposite, because you’ve decided that errors in production are somehow negative. I keep telling you that they’re not - that they’re a key part of the process - and that working through the sessions and making the errors is exactly the road that will lead to memory formation and speaking ability.

In fact, if you were going through the sessions and not making errors, it would show that you were wasting your time by dealing with material that didn’t need to be revisited at that point.

What you’re currently doing is exactly what language learning looks like (at its most effective). So regardless of the natural ebb and flow of how many errors you make in any given session, every time you complete a session you have, in fact, done well - because you’ve taken the next step on the road to conversational fluency. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Very true. I joke a lot about my poor welsh but in truth now i am astonished at how much i know after 9 months.

Little things like answering @henddraig about being fed up. I knew it instantly.

Every time something like that happens i feel a warm glow. There’s lots of evidence too that these emotional responses strengthen learning. So take pride in your successes.

1 Like

OK, OK, I give up! I submit! And I can’t say either of those yn y Gymraeg! But every time I finish a challenge now, I’ll think, “Diolch Duw ag @aran!” and I’ll try to feel that I’m one step closer to thinking of something to say to @Pete2 on sudden Skypes! (Un cam yn nes at feddwl o rhywbeth i ddweud wrth @Pete2)

2 Likes

Which you will be…:slight_smile:

I’m always glad when people can be brought kicking and screaming to embrace the scientific method…:wink:

1 Like

Most people only use two words to me…the second is usually ‘bant’ :wink:

Literally laughing out loud!

Oh dear, mae’n ddwrg gen i, dw i ddim yn deall ‘bant’!!

1 Like