New Website - Willing typers and website "lookers" wanted

Tricia, the older Deaf communities & sections of society in Britain were once upon a time, late 19th & early 20th C, gathered by special schooling and religious missionary almoners/social work into using/developing their language in spite of mainstream Hearing culture. Foreign travel/internationalism for most Deaf had seemed to be an impossibility.

Later 20C: Technology e.g. tv, cars, phones (and, for the Deaf, “inclusionist progress” closing special schools), had atomised us all (and Deaf users of BSL) but now mobile phones and internet facilitates meet ups and social media & texted or mobile spoken language use for minorities, including the very visually-based Deaf world, etc greatly. Especially this century, recent trends have opened up geographical cultural horizons for Young Deaf, reducing insularity again, potentially.

Communicating this new reality, BBC See Hear did a special series in 2017 (I think) where Rosie, a young BSL using reporter, visited 6 European capitals. In Berlin a café/food outlet run by Deaf entrepreneurs was fulfilling its mission to encourage Hearing clientele to order food using DGS (German signing) very effectively with posters, prompt sheets, etc. - I wish I could easily find a YouTube or bbc link for this, :frowning:

For spoken languages technology may/might support prompting via “talking” posters, menus and prompt-sheets.

The technology: https://shop.rnib.org.uk/new-rnib-penfriend2-voice-recorder-labeller.html

Give up barking and whining in English for a while and try out another tongue, or “speak” with your hands, if you have some that can work for you.

A smattering can be the difference between
“not mattering much in the bigger picture”
and “mattering -
wherever you are…”

Speak and sign your friendship with the world!

1 Like

Re-tune your ears to the many channels of life in Welsh, and switch over your eyes to see the smattering of sign you can learn, in order to include people born (or becoming) Deaf. Be touched by Deafblindness and sense why being flexible and keeping in touch is simply human. Get beyond being stuck on English.

Thanks for your help all. This should be plenty quotes-wise for now, so can I thank you all for your words of wisdom.

Tyre kickers have all been contacted :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Great idea! Then we would not be so nervous about trying.

1 Like

If anyone missed the other thread… The website this thread related to is now live at:

useyourwelsh.com :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Ann it could be fun too.