New to welsh

Ah many thanks for that advice Aran! I have been repeating because it said in the audio to continue on if I felt confident enough in what I’ve learned. I never knew that it would go over the same stuff with each lesson. Thanks henddraig. I do have a southern draw since I am southern but I have chosen to so the south lessons for now since someone mentioned before that it did not matter which I chose. Any more advice is always welcome and thanks again!

1 Like

Don’t worry about “feeling confident” - and I believe that Aran’s views on repetition have changed since the creation of the courses. I was advised never to repeat anything (at least, I think this was what I read in the letters that are sent to the new students) and I never did any repetition at all. Even if I discover that I don’t remember the words, I just move on, trusting that we’ll get to them in the next lesson.
Maybe it’s a bit extreme, but it works, so, really - don’t worry:) And welcome to our club of those who are doing the southern course!

4 Likes

Yup, we need to do a better job of getting the instructions up-to-date! Sorry about that…

1 Like

You could try looking at the public list of signatures

This lets you look at the map, you could see if there is a mark for you. Easier for Belarus than USA, although I don’t think we have one in Georgia yet! Sorry, @Sionned I’ve forgotten where you are, but if you are in Wales, you will have signed the other petition.
EDIT: there seems to be a facility to search for last name, so people can search for their own!! (Which I don’t often know, for our people).

Thanks @henddraig! The search function worked (where the map wouldn’t have, because I apparently didn’t give anything of my location except “USA”). All set.

It’s fine aran. I just wasn’t sure what to do. I am still having fun learning. Learning welsh will help my welshman personae in my medieval reenactment society. Llywelyn ap hywel haha nice ringto it I think. Thanks seren and everyone else for the warm welcome. This is a great forum.

2 Likes

Oh, wow, I used to do medieval reenactment too! Fantastic, now I’m not the only one:)

If you’re logged into the site you can’t sign it twice and there might be system remembers IP adress too.

[quote=“preston, post:26, topic:4569”]
Learning welsh will help my welshman personae in my medieval reenactment society. Llywelyn ap hywel haha nice ringto it I think.[/quote]
@preston - are you in the SCA? If so, which kingdom are you in - Meridies or Atlantia? (My husband and I are “old brass hats” in Calontir. My usual persona is Norman French, 14th c. but I have a secondary, 10th c. Welsh one: Sionned ferch Cynan ap Owain.)

Whole new worlds revealed on this Forum!! It is ironic, I think that my honorary brother was a dedicated member of the group which re-fought the American Civil War at weekends, mainly at Bath, as I recall. He was a Confederate Gunner! I went along to watch sometimes. It was when it was quite fashionable to wear long skirts, so I fitted in quite well!!
p.s. There is an American Museum at Bath!

Until about 18 months ago, Henddraig, I lived in Bath - and I did indeed see American Civil War reenactments at the American Museum there.

(My favourite bits of the museum were the Shaker room and the quilt collection.)

Meridia was my kingdom but when I was in the SCA, I had a saxon personae. I was Æthelwulf Eadwining soldier of Wessex 9th century before the Norman invasion of britain. After a while of getting into the group, I fell in love with Welsh history and changed to Llywelyn ap Hywel. I have enjoyed it very much :blush:

1 Like

Nice seren and henddraig! I enjoy reenactment. Always have.