New Southern Challenges

Bore da bawb!

Thanks to the efforts of our brilliant import team, we have two new Level 1 southern challenges for you.

Enjoy!

Iestyn

:seren:

Ardderchog! I’ll be giving those a go this weekend then! :smile:

Bendigedig !

It’s only midnight now, I can fit one in before bed :wink:

Geth

Just done lesson 14. Just goes to show that there really is a reason for people who’ve done all three older courses to do the newer ones - I never considered using the short forms that way before. I assume all the short forms can be used that way (for example, “Pwy welodd beth oedd yn digwydd?” for “Who saw what happened?”)?

:smile:

I have to say that I’m finding them great practice for increasing my versatility as well, even though I’ve gone right through the 3 original courses (and speak Welsh almost on a daily basis with live Welsh speakers :smile: )

One thing I’m really enjoying is the mixing of the tenses, especially compared to the old Course 3 which mainly jumped between past and non-past short forms. I’ve gone back to my personal practice trick of pretending each statement is the answer to a question and putting the appropriate form of ‘yes’ or ‘no’ on the front. I stumbled over that a couple of times at the Eisteddfod in Llanelli and it bugged me as it slowed me down. Yesterday at the Llandysul Show I could really feel the difference with 'oes’s and 'ydw’s coming out quite naturally.

@Dee: I’ve gone back to my personal practice trick of pretending each statement is the answer to a question and putting the appropriate form of ‘yes’ or ‘no’ on the front. I stumbled over that a couple of times at the Eisteddfod in Llanelli and it bugged me as it slowed me down. Yesterday at the Llandysul Show I could really feel the difference with 'oes’s and 'ydw’s coming out quite naturally.

Sounds like a great trick Dee. Definitely one of my (many) weak points.
If you have a moment, could you possibly give one or two examples?
(My brain is feeling a little slow(er than usual) today! :slight_smile:

@Mike A couple of examples from Challenge 13:

“I met an old woman” - I pretend I’m answering “Did you meet an old woman?” and I put the appropriate form of “Yes” on the front, so “Do, nes i gwrdd â hen fenyw” or for “She wanted to speak with me last night” I pretend the question was “Did she want to speak with you last night?” and I answer “Oedd, oedd hi’n moyn siarad gyda fi neithiwr.”

Of course people that start with the new course and haven’t done any other Welsh will have to wait until they’ve been taught the yeses and noes, but for people that have done the earlier SSiW courses or learnt them elsewhere I find it’s a good way of using the SSiW natural method of incorporating things into your learning and getting lots of practice of answering questions.

2 Likes

Diolch Dee. Sounds like a good thing to practice in Skype/G+ Hangout sessions, or just to oneself.

For your delectation, challenge 16 is now available.

Enjoy!

3 Likes

Once again, thanbks to our import team, I give you:smile:

Challenge 17!

PS If you get any odd album art with challenge 17, could you let me know? We have a phantom saxophone player turning up on some of our mp3s…

3 Likes

Challenge 18, hot off the presses, and potentially still bathed in the sweat of our volunteers…

Enjoy!

Iestyn

7 Likes

Fresh and steaming (That’s like a cake out of the oven, not something else. Please behave!)

Challenge 19.

And then came half term holidays…

7 Likes

Did I miss announcing challenge 20? Sorry!

But if that’s news to you, then here’s a bonus - challenge 21 as well. Hurrah!

6 Likes

And like busses - 22 and 23 are now ready for your inspection!

4 Likes