New Level 3 Challenge 2 (G)

A few comments after Challenge 2.

Whilst the recording is seamless, it is sometimes obvious when there is a change, because Aran’s voice changes, presumably it was recorded on a different day, it is unavoidable. However this isn’t really a bad thing, it keeps us on our toes and listening to Welsh words said with a subtly different voice.
My other comment is why do taflu again. This word was done extensively very early on in Course 1 (and in Level 1 as well?), it seemed very odd for it to be introduced as a ‘new word’.
Question ‘Beth ydy ei henw hi?’ Is ‘ydy’ always fine. I know ‘Beth yw ei henw’ is this a ‘Southern thing’.
Also loved the comment about getting English and Welsh mixed up. Sometimes i do have the two languages floating in my head and I have to remember which one to use, I imagine this is less of a problem in bilingual communities.

1 Like

From what I have read, ydy is more northern-y and yw is more southern-y and they mean exactly the same thing.

I believe the WJEC Northern courses teach Be’ ydy… which is of course just a pronunciation variant of Beth ydy….

1 Like

I don’t think it is in Level 1, which would explain why it didn’t ring up as a ‘previously introduced’ match - if it was (my memory isn’t perfect) then it’s a miss from us.

Yes, ydy/ydi is always fine in this situation, but as Philip said, it’s a more northern way of saying it.

Diolch yn fawr for your feedback :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Taflu was i believe in the old course so its inclusion in level 3 seems entirely normal as i don’t believe it’s in level 1 or 2.

Those of us who have done both the old courses and the new levels may be at an advantage, but remember the old courses will be retired so its entirely sensible.

3 Likes

As some may know, I am doing Level 1 Gogledd at the moment. It is true that I have 1.25 to finish today, but taflu has not come up in 1.01 - 1.24 inclusive!! I didn’t finish the old Lessons, first set, because the Challenges arrived, but I don’t recall taflu from as far as I got. Only people who had finished all the 1st level Lessons before the Challenges arrived are likely to have met taflu! Out of interest, I just looked it up and I can see that I might well want to throw any number of things frequently during future challenges, so diolch @aran for its inclusion!!

2 Likes

Okay, it’s my memory playing tricks. Taflu was heavily used in Course 1, but not in Level 1.

2 Likes

Taflu - Course 1 or course 2? Or was it in the supplementary vocab units?

I’d put my money on Course 1.

I wouldn’t go beyond about a fiver, though…:wink:

2 Likes

I think it was course 2 :smile:

(I finished course 1 in Italy and only got the chance to buy the subscription to get course 2 when I got back to Finland. I remember that taflu was after cicio and that my mom (who was in Finland the whole time) laughed at “cicio’r pêl at y wal”)

2 Likes

Definitely course 2…i haven’t done course 1

1 Like

And definately Course 2 South as well - only towlyd (or twlyd) instead of taflu.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure it was course 2, but it was a long time ago…:slight_smile:

Sorry, Aran. In the Southern course, we get twlid/taflu in Course 2 Lesson 6. :slight_smile:

I agree, those sentences were fun! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Taflu

Northern Course 2 Lesson 6 (same lesson as in Southern course as identified by @AnnaC above).
5 minutes into the recording.

3 Likes

I’ve spent my fiver on ice-cream to cheer myself up for losing the bet…:wink:

3 Likes

@aran Hei, ble mae fy hufen iâ i? :icecream: Dw i’n falch dy fod ti’n teimlo’n well :wink: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh, did I give them impression that I’d give the ice-cream to someone else for winning the bet? Good heavens no…:wink:

1 Like