New learner saying hello

Excellent! And in the meantime, enjoy your learning and let us know how you’re doing!

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

Although it appears this is an old thread, I thought I would introduce myself as feeling quite nervous!

Living in Gwynedd North Wales and grew up speaking welsh in school. The minute I did my A levels, the language was no longer compulsary and my brain shut off.

Now married and my husbands first language is Welsh. We have a 3 year old daughter and 8 week old son, so want to ensure the language lives on … so here I am! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Hi @rhiannon-williams-2,
I’m new too, just starting this week. I’m an artist with ME and I live in West Yorkshire. A close friend of mine is welsh, from bangor, and another in Cardiff, I just really want to speak Welsh and maybe visit Wales again. Please let me know if you fancy being a buddy on here! :grin: :cherry_blossom:

5 Likes

Hello Rhiannon, I still feel like a new learner even though I’m coming up to the end of my 1st year… I’ve learnt a lot but am not really talking yet as I should be… haven’t pushed myself into taking advantage of all the SSIW opportnunities.
Good luck on your journey, hope you enjoy every week as much as I have! Mary

3 Likes

Welcome to the course, Rhiannon - you’ll probably find that you’ll surprise yourself with how quickly a lot of that old stuff comes back to life for you… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello everyone

I was born in Cardiff and learned a very little Welsh before we moved abroad. Now I’ve moved back into an area where there is a lot of Welsh spoken and I’d love to be able to speak and understand better. I did a year of evening classes, but for me, the evening is not a good time to engage my brain. I’ve really enjoyed the trial week and hope that I’ll keep it up this time!: smiley:

4 Likes

Hi Louise - I’m a new Welsh learner too. I live in North Wales and have been doing this for 5 days now. I love the sound of the Welsh language and really hope that this course helps me learn! :grinning:

4 Likes

hi everyone, I am just starting week 4 now and have really enjoyed the first 3 weeks of SSiW. I am from the south Wales valleys and sadly Welsh is not our first language although it was compulsory for us to learn it throughout our schooling until the age of 14. This way of learning is very different to the traditional way and i truly believe i am able to speak more useful Welsh now at the start of week 4 than i learnt in school. What i am struggling with is some of the pronunciation of the words. Where i grew up i was taught to pronounce them differently to what i am hearing on the SSiW course, words like Cymraeg and dechrau. But i have easily learnt to say them differently so it hasn’t presented too much of a problem. Anyway, nice to meet you all and good luck with the course.

4 Likes

I’m posting for my 82yr old mum, Gale, who has just completed challenge 5. She has some fairly incapacitating memory problems, but even so has just about managed one challenge a week. It appears she’s a Higher Repetition Learner as the daily 6 minutes takes us two separate hours each day. But she is so determined and very patient with herself, embracing and trusting in the learning process, even though we often go down the wrong path!
She has tried learning Welsh several times before without success, however SSIW makes it so easy.
I am very proud of her commitment and wanted to inspire others as they start their SSIW journey into the joys of siarad Cymraeg.
Trust the process and repeat phrases as often as you need, enjoying all the blips as much as you would finding the right word. We’re having so much fun with our Lockdown lessons :grinning:
Branwen

16 Likes

MOR hyfryd!! (SO lovely!!) All the very best to you and your mum! :clap:

2 Likes

That’s fantastic

1 Like

Sch mae

1 Like

Shwmae Howard, welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sch mae

Hello,

After doing the 5 free lessons, I have just signed up for the 6 minutes a day Welsh speaker course, and am looking forward to Monday’s lesson. I don’t usually join forums, but I can see how speaking with other language learners makes total sense! And this forum seems very friendly.

I have a Welsh mother and spoke Welsh as a child, but lost most of the language after migrating to Australia age 5. Now my mother has dementia and is speaking more and more Welsh. So I can understand her better and continue speaking with her, dwi dysgu siarad Cymraeg! I’ve wanted to relearn speaking Welsh for a long long time, but now it’s become urgent. I look forward to learning from other in this forum, and hopefully getting to know a few more Welsh speakers.

thanks,
Caroline

13 Likes

Croeso/Welcome, Caroline. I am sure that you will relearn your language very quickly. There are a good number of Australian members on the forum.

1 Like

Hi Cassie​:slightly_smiling_face: I’ve just signed up for the 6 minutes course this afternoon too. I can’t wait until Monday. I want to get going as soon as I can. :slightly_smiling_face:

Can someone tell me why my page isdark/ unlit. I’ve tried tapping around all over. Do I need to come out of something ? Thanks in advance

Sorted, no need🙂

Shwmae! Joe ydw I. Dw i’n dod o Sir Benfro, ond dw i’n byw yn Cornwall nawr. Dw I’n moyn ddysgu siarad Cymraeg i siarad gyda frindiau a teulu yn Nhgymru. Diolch.

5 Likes

Hello Joe,

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your learning down in Kernow.

3 Likes