New course 2 - some questions

In the southern course what is the beginning of the sentence which in the northern course goes: ai eich plant chi ydy rheina? Is it y fe, or a fe? And what does it mean? What is it a contraction of?

In the southern course again, you use the pattern: oes gyda chi blant eich hunan? I sometimes say: oes plant gyda eich hunan? Is that equally correct?

Sorry if someone has already asked these questions. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds like an ā€œiā€ sound to me; so ā€œi fe eich plant chi yw rheina?ā€ (may not be spelled like that). The direct translation would probably be close to ā€œYour children, are those?ā€

For the second question, Iā€™d personally use oes plant gyda chi eich hunan - it seems like you use ā€œyou yourselfā€ and ā€œhe himselfā€ and so on as a pattern. Hence ā€œDylai ti deimloā€™n falch ohonot ti dy hunanā€ (You should feel proud of yourself).

I havenā€™t listened to it recently, but I would assume it is ā€œifeā€, which is an alternative for ā€œaiā€ (I certainly have heard both round here in the South.) It doesnā€™t actually mean anything - or at least, has no equivalent in English. Like ā€œaiā€, it is simply used to mark the fact that this type of sentence is a question.

2 Likes

Also worth noting that, as well as both being acceptable, none is too. It can be, and is left out by some speakers.

2 Likes

So, like: eich plant chi yw rheina?

I recall questions used to have an a at the beginning, in place of the affirmative makers, mi/fe, and that negatives had na, or was it in? Incidentally I was also told while in Wales that the affirmative marker is the first person, mi, in the north and the third person, fe, in the south. I did therefore wonder whether ai/ ife was following a similar pattern. Though Cat says ife and Iestyn says what sounds to me like yfe.

1 Like

I would say it is more that ā€œaiā€ is regarded as the more ā€œstandardā€ word wherever you are, and ā€œifeā€ can be used as an alternative in the South (if, as robbruce says, any word is used at all!) rather than being a North South 100% shibboleth. Like many of these things!

1 Like

I found this video on Facebook. It has two questions in the middle that begin with ā€˜aiā€™. I thought it might be useful to see, even if it doesnā€™t really answer the question in the op.

3 Likes

That video has an error. Ydw is I am, not I do. But, it kind of sounds like I do. Maybe thatā€™s why they said that?

I think it is a matter of the difficulties of translation, rather than an error as such. They say quite clearly at the beginning that it is a form of the verb ā€œto beā€.
The thing is, in English it sounds very odd to say ā€œare you understandingā€ (to which the answer is ā€œI amā€) , rather than ā€œdo you understandā€ (to which the answer is I do). Using ā€œare you understandingā€ as a translation of the question would have been odd, and thus using ā€œI amā€ as a translation would have been odd itself. I understand the point you are making though!

2 Likes

Very good point. It could have been better explained though considering itā€™s catering to beginners.

1 Like