My next trip to Wales - your thoughts welcomed

Helo Pawb!

I am in the process of planning my next trip to Wales. I will be at the eisteddfod in August. Yay! And I will be doing writing and research at Stiwdio Maelor again. However, I am toying with the idea of staying a bit longer and trying to do some public speaking.

As you may know, I’ve written a novel. It is the reason I started learning Welsh in the first place and the sense of homecoming journey has been incredible. I never get tired of talking about it. I have done some presentations here in Australia and they have they have been well received. I will be producing a media kit and trying to line up some speaking engagement in Wales.

However, one of the goals I’ve set myself is to do the presentation in Welsh. I wondered whether Welsh language groups/centers would be interested in? If you are linked to such a place or have any ideas/contacts, can you let me know.

I will not charge. I am seeing this a good opportunity to improve my Welsh. All I ask is that I be allowed to bring some books, in case anyone wants to buy one. But there would be no compulsion and no hard sell. The journey to publication has given me a language and a sense of my true heritage. That is the story I love to tell.

Let me know if you can help!

4 Likes

It might be worth you contacting Palas Print here in Caernarfon - they often hold talks and launches and suchlike so it would be worth a shot (and you already know how encouraging everyone there is!)

Would you like me to pass on some media kits to the various tv companies up here or tell you where to send them? (of course I can’t promise anything comes of it - but you never know).

1 Like

Thanks Siaron. That’s really kind. I will definitely get in touch once we have media kits ready. I have press releases but we are hoping to do something more comprehensive. If you think of anyone who might like a reviewing copy of the novel let me know. I will contact Palas Print too. It may all come to nothing. Everyone seems more interested in the next novel than this one. No pressure! :flushed:

Get in touch with Merched y Wawr… :slight_smile:

1 Like

You beat me to it! I’m sure that there would be quite a few Merched y Wawr branches who would be interested.

1 Like

The only problem I see is the timing. Lots of the groups that could be interested close down over the summer months, but if you’re going to be here on into September/October that could be a possibility.

The Historical Society in Llandysul might be interested, though probably your next book would be more of an interest to them with its connection to Owain Glyndwr.

EDIT - just thinking more, there are quite a few libraries around that might be interested in hosting a session, e.g. our library in Llandysul is about to start being run by volunteers. We’re really keen to offer anything that would attract people into the library, and I’m sure we wouldn’t be the only one.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone! I will definitely try Merched y Wawr. I am going to stay right through October for that reason. I will use Ausgust, early September to focus on my writing and then be a little more available after that. I’d happily come to the library in Llandysul. Also, I had thought of approaching the Owain Glyn Dwr Society to see if they want to hear about my next book. I am happy to talk about the research so far etc. Though, I suspect that society hold English language meetings. I’d love to do some speaking in Welsh. At least, I think i’d Love it! :flushed:

3 Likes

Ah, well, maybe the Maes a Mor Society in Ffostrasol might be interested in you giving a talk on your research so far for your next book. They’re a history group and everything happens in Welsh. I could give you the email address of the secretary if you’d like. They only meet once a month so they probably set out their programme of speakers quite a way in advance.

2 Likes

Yes, that would be great. It will be a huge challenge. But, why not? I’m sure my Welsh will benefit immensely.

Another suggestion - from Ifor ap Glyn actually :wink: - it could be worth you trying Siop Penrallt in Machynlleth and also Gwyl Arall in Caernarfon (but that may be too early for you as it’s usually on in July).

1 Like

I’ll PM you the contact details.

Okay, so I am just sitting here just digesting the fact that you mentioned me to Ifor ap Glyn. :flushed:

I will definitely try Penrallt. I will get back to you once I have a media kit. I had this idea that if Palas Print wanted to charge (not sure who would pay to hear me, but I’m sure they could talk me up) we could use the event as a fundraiser for Llety Arall.

2 Likes

Well, he’s often at book and poetry type things and very well-connected so I wondered if he’d have any other suggestions!

Maybe I’d best not tell you I sent him a few links to reviews of your book too… hope you don’t mind!

1 Like

Er…mind, not a bit! You are welcome to tell anyone you like about my book. Do you have a copy? I feel I should offer you one seeing as you’ve just become my numbe one Welsh marketer.

1 Like

What about contacting the different Welsh for Adults Centres about speaking to their Uwch classes on the summer intensive courses? I’m sure you’d provide an interesting and inspirational story for learners and it would give you some ‘practice’ for other events in September. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Tell Ifor if he wants a copy I’ll send him one too!

1 Like

I would suggest Radio Cymru. Not quite what you’re asking for, but I’m pretty sure they look favourably on stories just like yours, the written one and the personal one.

1 Like

I have been interview on Radio Cymru and also in Golwg and will be interviewed in Lingo Newydd in February. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have drafted a letter to send to Merched y Wawr groups. Does anyone have time to look over it and tell me whether I have made any hideous mistakes?