[more success] Idea dump: how to increase frequency of usage

Translation of popular video games is honestly going to help a bit. If one could play Skyrim (An easily modded game) or the various Fallout games (Also easily modded) in Welsh, that would be big. Mainly because of its interactivity without the need for constant access to speakers. Granted say Skyrim, that would be a big undertaking which really only a company, dedicated activists and voice actors as well as translators and one or two mod programmers who’ve done other such language mods or can copy a language mod.

I actually floated this idea to Adrian Cain for Manx, but resource wise that is not likely. But, Welsh has a lot of potential voice actors and people who could translate the dialogue and text of the game into Welsh.

2 Likes

Completely agree!

Video games were the reason I started speaking English with my Finnish friends. With the game being in English, it was just easier for us to communicate in it when we played, and the language carried over to school and other settings. I still only speak English with them.

No idea how common this is, but I know other people who switch to English - or a mixture of Finnish and English - when playing games with others. Anyway, I could imagine this happening in Wales as well…

3 Likes

Yeah. Plus it can give a fun way to interact with the language without necessarily having to physically go around other speakers or learners in person. In general, the more media one can interact with any given language will help.

I guess my other recommendation is to translate, translate, translate. If my little avatar didn’t give it away, I enjoy Japanese animation. Why not fund projects to dub popular foreign media into Welsh? Particularly the genre of anime. Hell, Howls Moving Castle is based on a story by a Welsh writer. The other advantage is that if you can find the funding you’ve also created an incentive to speak and use Welsh as a language because there would then be untold numbers of job opportunities JUST to speak Welsh, read and write it. Get the Assembly in on that and have these start-up companies offer decent pay specifically for that skill.

2 Likes