Mixing North and South!

So I’ve been pottering on for a while, taking things slowly, but today I’ve hit a question. I’ve always known the South way of saying “like” (and its derivatives) from my relative and I’m comfortable using that in context. But I’m doing the Northern course and it’s really thrown me! Is it permissable to “mix” North/South in a sentence, or is it a really big no no?!
Hoping this doesn’t offend anyone :confused:

1 Like

Don’t worry about it, and use the first form that you think of. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thank you!!

1 Like

If you mean “Hoffi” v “Licio”, either will definitely be ok. For some reason, Lico is used in Swansea, which just goes to show that dialects don’t tend to respect borders. So, yes, just say what comes naturally.

3 Likes

Fab, thanks!!

1 Like

Yes, I just discovered the existence of lico - a bit North and also West of Swansea actually.
Dw i’n lico lico! :slight_smile:
(although I still also like hoffi, as I learnt in SSiW lessons).

2 Likes

There is no distinct line across Wales dividing north and south linguistically, so loads of people use a mixture of both, especially in the middle of the country. You’ll just sound like a native! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Thank you everyone!! Was starting to worry I’d got to start again!

1 Like

Don’t worry Harriet - the North/South thing is a continuum, not a border. Plenty of mid-Wales speakers use a supposed ‘mixture’. When I lived in Llanafan, everyone there routinely used mas for out, but ise (= eisiau) for want.

So if anyone quibbles, tell them indignantly that you’re from Llanafan ( or similar). :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m so going to try that!!

As a slight aside, my 7 year old has just found my source words and is building sentences for me to try :heart_eyes:. It’s a huge game to her! Wish I’d printed the vocab list from challenges 3 and 4 now!

3 Likes

Or there’s always the get-out (which I think I’ve seen recommended by Iestyn):

“Well, that’s the way they say it in my village!”.

5 Likes

Another useful variant, particularly if you have Welsh antecedents, is: ‘Well I remember my granny telling me that HER granny always used to say it that way.’

Or be slightly (righteously) surprised at their quibble: ‘Oh, don’t you say that, then? You should come down our way some time.’

5 Likes

For anyone on Twitter that hasn’t noticed this. This gives some interesting variations in pronunciation along with nice maps. Difficult to see the SE Coast, though.

https://twitter.com/trydarieitheg

1 Like

I cant see the link :frowning:

OK. sorry. It works for me, but admittedly going through my own Twitter account.

Perhaps go into your twitter account and then search on Trydarieitheg

2 Likes