Melbourne SSIWers?

How exciting, great news. I wish I could join but Brisbane is too far away, unfortunately. On the other hand, not too far away for Bootcamp. I would definitely be keen to have an Aussie Bootcamp and will be happy to help in any way I can. Perhaps we could start with a weekend which would be easier to arrange as a first go.

1 Like

I am really looking forward to sundays welsh meet up. this regular meet up is great to keep me on track. i recomend all in the area to give it a go with us. i also support the idea of an awssie bootcamp. but would like to hear the format and what has worked and what levels of cymraeg learning benefit most. diolch yn fawr alex for your efforts

1 Like

Next get together is this Sunday 17 July at the Rowville Library.
Our format is all about games and giving it a go. In keeping with this we are going to try ā€™ Amser Stori -(storytime). I show a picture, you try. Make a sentence, make a stori if you can, using the basic sentences that SSiW teaches us - a monkey, a star, soccer. Hmmm how about; ā€™ I am sorry, Iā€™m learning Munciā€™, or ā€˜I talked with a star trying to goā€™ā€™ , or ā€™ I am playing soccer with a Munci in the Star pub.ā€™

Cael hywl gyda ni (have fun with us)

1 Like

Hi all! Just wanted to drop in a quick message, since I just realised myself that tomorrowā€™s not one of our official meeting days - it feels like it should be since itā€™s two weeks from the last one, but the next scheduled meeting at Rowville Library is actually 7 August.

If anyone wants to meet, Iā€™ve still got the time free tomorrow afternoon and we could meet anyway, but I wanted to make sure nobody else was working on the same mistake I was!

And now Iā€™m here, I just want to mention how much Iā€™ve been enjoying this group. Weā€™ve got a nice mix of people of very different ages, levels of experience, dialect and goals, and I think we do a pretty good job of being flexible and focusing on what we all want to get out of the group rather than any set ideas about what we should be doing. Weā€™ve been playing games, reading some kids books, making up stories together with some great cue cards that Steve made, having some good conversations and just generally having a good time.

We have been talking recently about trying to get some cross-contamination going with other Melbourne Welsh speakers, and I think Steve has been doing a bit of work behind the scenes there. I was thinking one thing we could do is when the weather has turned a bit, try and find a day when people are available and do a bit of a special meet-up or Welsh day. Iā€™m thinking maybe September or October, to give people time to spread the word and plan ahead if necessary.

I really only thought about this now, and havenā€™t thought it through, but if thereā€™s interest Iā€™d be happy to start making a bit more of a definite plan about it. What do we all think?

1 Like

This sounds like an awesome ideaā€¦ :slight_smile: :star: :star2:

Hi all, we had a good little session today, with one sadly missing but another newcomer in the ranks thanks to some publicity in the library newsletter! We played some games and looked through some books, and we had a fair bit of conversation in English about Wales, which Iā€™ve decided still counts :innocent:

Weā€™re also putting together a plan for a bit of an extra event next weekend in addition to our usual meetings. Some people from the Welsh Church in Melbourne have very kindly offered their time before the Sunday service for some conversation, tips and feedback, which Steve has done before and suggested some other people might like to get in on as well. So the idea is:

1. Firstly, for those who are interested, to meet up at Vic Markets around half past 11 or so to do some of our usual activities and/or get something to eat, before

2. Heading over to the Welsh Church at about 1 pm, before

3. The service starts at 2.30.

So anyone whoā€™d like to come to any or all of these events is more than welcome to. Iā€™ll be there for at least the first two, and Steve for all three.

And of course, the weekend after that weā€™ll be meeting in Rowville as usual. All welcome!

1 Like

Sounds great Steve! Unfortunately, Iā€™m working this weekend otherwise iā€™d have tried to join you.

A group of us also meet on Tuesdayā€™s in the Celtic Club.

In addition, there is a monthly Welsh chat - learners and fluent speakers - who are meeting once month on a Friday evening. The next one is on Friday 19 August in the Snug Public House Brunswick, 68 Sydney Road.

There is also a monthly Aussie Skype chat. If you are interested, please get in touch.

It would be great to catch up some time. I have details of Tuesday night on my website. Iā€™ve yet to add the monthly meet ups. Or the Skype chat. But Iā€™d happily add your meet ups if you want to supply me with details. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Shu mae paub,

Iā€™m looking forward to this weekends meetup at Vic Market. Iā€™ll be the Market before 11.30am, Iā€™ll be on the corner of Victoria and Queen St, Iā€™ll have a welsh Flag pinned to my back for any newcomers to see.(iā€™m also kinda hoping a welsh speaking tourist might just accost me!!!) Anyone is welcome to email me direct for my mobile phone number too. Lets get some siarad mynd i (talk going) through the market.
The Church is less than 10 minutes down the road, to get to talk meet up with and talk with people there between 1 and 2pmā€¦
As a Christian i have been going to the 2.30pm welsh language service recently and it is a small and friendly mob for anyone to join.

Steve

1 Like

Hello from sunny Canadaā€¦

It sounds like you have a lively SSiW community in and around Melbourneā€“good on you! Perhaps I will be able to pop in when I am visiting your neck of the woods in early Octoberā€“I would like that very much.

For now, I need to go and prepare some goodies for the Vancouver Welsh Societyā€™s garden party. We too have language lessons, social activities, Welsh services and a pub. So any time you, or anyone else reading this post visits Vancouver, please look us up. ā€˜Weā€™ll keep a welcomeā€¦ā€™ in the Red Dragon and some beer on tap.

All the best,
Marilyn

1 Like

Yes, weā€™d love to meet up. Private message me and weā€™ll exchange contact details. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sounds great, thank you.

Just one itsy bitsy questionā€“how do I private message you? Perhaps the info is in your profile. If so, I will find it. If there is another magic button in the menu, please point me towards it.

I access this site from a desktop, so it might be different if youā€™re on a tablet or something, but if I click on someoneā€™s name or picture, I get a little pop-up profile, and on that profile thereā€™s a blue button that says ā€œmessageā€. If you click on this you should be able to send a person a private message :slight_smile:

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr Alexā€“works a treat!

Shwmae paub

Our next Meet in the Rowville Library is tomorrow at 1pm. I missed the last one, and am looking forward to our amser hwyl (fun time) Making up stories worked well last time, Iā€™m looking forward to a stori from Alex, and hoping we can give a bit of a go on money and/or time.
Weā€™d be delighted to welcome people from near and far. Of any ability. Of any age.
After doing the SSiW course now I would say that the encouragement in the lessons to go out and talk to people is key to SSiW.

1 Like

Hi Marilyn,

I sent you a private message. Did you receive it? If not, let me know and Iā€™ll try again.

There is a Melbourne Welsh Facebook group. But it is not a Welsh language group. I am on Facebook. Elizabeth Jane Corbett, same image as this one. Hope to see you online.

1 Like

Shwmae pobl

Our next meet is this Sunday -4th September - at Rowville Library. Last time I brought in cards to work on time and realised just how sbwriel (rubbish) I was, so am bringing in cards again to try out numbers and time (and i have done my homework too!), as well as our other games.
All welcome.

This week is a turning point for me. Completed challenge 25. Gwych.
But, more importantly, SSIW is working. It works in the challenges, and it works to go out and talk and listen to other people

Also met a fella who was visiting at Eglwys (Melbourne Welsh Church) who knew his iaith cefn i flaen (langagues back to front), and was the first native speaker to give me any feedback.
So, if this was you;
Maeā€™n ddrug da fi, I didnt get your name or details, but as I spruiked this site amser mawr (big time) you may come on the forum. If you do, ffrind,contact me through here, I would be delighted to be in touch.

1 Like

Hi Marilyn,

You can contact me via my website if you are having trouble:
elizabethjanecorbett@me.com

Iā€™d love to meet up and give you an Aussie Welsh welcome. Where are you staying?

1 Like

Shwmae pobl,

This Sunday the 18th at 1pm is our next meet at Rowville Library.
This is the last one we had booked in - as when the weather improves we could take up options of meeting outside.
Stan brought in some picture dictionaryā€™s (aimed at little kids) to help our vocabulary last time.(Thanks Stan).
Wil esi yno (see you there)

1 Like

Alex, would you ask around in the Welsh church if anyone knows people in Brsbane who would like to do something similar. Iā€™m feeling very envious of all you melbourners. Liz mentioned a mini Bootcamp and I would be very keen. Perhaps you could discuss it with your group. Iā€™d be pleased to help out n anyway. What do you think?

1 Like