Melbourne SSIWers?

Sorry for the delay, i tried to send a message direct to alex, but it bounced. Welsh service on 10th moved to Ballarat. Hope to meet still - would somewhere in Glen Waverly suit you Alex, middle of the day before Footy ? A cafe somewhere? I would give out my phone number but i’m not sure thats meant to be done. Steve

If you click on Alex’s username alex_1 and then ‘Message’, you can send a private message, which might be a more secure way of sharing things like phone numbers :sunny:

Hi Melbourners!

Steve and I spoke this morning and we’ve decided to meet up in Glen Waverley next Saturday afternoon at 2 o’clock. I’m currently trying to find a nice café or something that’s not too busy or loud where we’ll be able to sit down and have a chat, and when I’ve made some progress on the venue I’ll post back here.

Everyone’s welcome to come and join us and speak some Welsh - Steve mentioned some people he was going to sound out, and a friend of mine who’s just started learning Welsh said she’s interested in coming along as well.

If anyone wants to come but can’t make either the time or the place feel free to chime in and we might be able to move things around a bit, but at the moment for the sake of forward planning consider it to be 2 o’clock on 16 April somewhere in Glen Waverley.

Cheers,
Alex

1 Like

I’ve been meaning to post this for a couple of weeks now - sorry for the delay. This is the interview with Karla that I did when she was in Llandysul. It was printed in our monthly local paper - Y Garthen. So, here’s some Welsh reading practice for you :slight_smile:

Karla yn Y Garthen.pdf (224.3 KB)

3 Likes

Hi all, forgive the silence - between work and everything else right now I’m completely flat out. Unfortunately Glen Waverly is just a little far for me. Don’t change anything on my account though - there’s no reason why in a city as big as Melbourne we shouldn’t have several groups covering a few general areas, and if you happen to be in the city during the week sometime, let me know and we can have a chat. :smile:

@Deborah-SSi, diolch! It will be reading practice for me too…I’ve completely forgotten what I said!

2 Likes

Okay I don’t really have a perfect location in mind, so my suggestion would be to meet in front of Glen Waverley library, which should be easy enough to find and meet at, and then just pick a spot in Kingsway to go to that we feel like on the day. There’s places like Pancake Parlour, Dessert Story, plenty of Asian and Western cafes and restaurants - heaps of choice.

It might be quite busy on Kingsway, so if somewhere more out of the way would be better, we could go to Kerrie Road Bakery Cafe, which is probably more of a bakery than a cafe but is fairly nice and much more out of the way. There’s some seating but not a lot, and its suitability might depend on the weather.

That’s all I’ve got for now, but feel free to get in contact.

Cheers,
Alex

1 Like

Sounds fine. Outside Glen Waverly Library, Kingsway, 2pm Saturday. S.

2 Likes

Hello again!

Having met up last weekend in Glen Waverley, the plan for the next meet-up is to go to Chesterfield Farm (link) on Saturday 30 April at 10am. It’s in Scoresby, and it’s $15 for adult admission, and the idea is to give us something to look at and talk about for some more natural, spontaneous conversation, and if we get a tractor ride out of it too, well, all the better!

1 Like

Gwych! (Great!) Me and my kids are looking forward to it. When we met up we discoverd that Alex is learning Northern Welsh, I am learning Southern. I am a beginner still on the first 6 lessons and Alex is through it. So we would like to invite people of all stages of learning to come along and try some longer conversations about the ŵyn ar y fferm (lambs on the farm). Steve

1 Like

I was supposed to post this a bit earlier but I forgot (sorry!). Our next meet-up is going to be tomorrow (Sunday 15 May) at Caribbean Gardens, meeting at 11am for some Welsh conversation, fresh air and good company :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ll be at the front of the cafe at 11am. Anyone wanting to come can send me a direct message by clicking on my name here and i’ll send you my phone number (or send yours and i’ll call it so you have mine). Hoping to have some back and forth in cymraig, over all the bargains. Steve

1 Like

Okay, the next meeting is planned for Jells Parks this coming Sunday (22 May) at 11.30 am. For ease of finding each other, I’ve suggested parking in the car park next to the netball centre and walking across into the actual park once we’re all together. I don’t think they play netball there on Sundays, but if they do we might have to improvise a bit. The backup option is probably just to meet at the food place (Madeline’s). Hopefully though the netball car park is nice and empty and we can meet there.

We’ve been thinking about some fun ways to practise some basic vocabulary for kids and adults alike, and so far we’ve thought of playing Simon Says (commands, body parts), Go Fish (numbers, “do you have?” “yes/no”), and possibly Hearts and some other card games. If anyone has any other ideas, we’d be very happy to hear them!

Cheers,
Alex

1 Like

Gwech, weather is looking good. Pob croeso (all welcome). we’ve been practicing here. Alex is also going to help us all on the ll sound. whilst Sally (age 6) is going to help us on animal names in the animal go fish game she has. See you there.

1 Like

Shwmae pob. Our next meet up is at Birdsland Reserve, www.yarraranges.vic.gov.au/Lists/Parks-Facilities/Birdsland-Reserve , Mt Morton Road Belgrave Heights !0am this Sunday 5 June. With Burrinja nearby as a bck up in case of weather inclemance. Send me message direct and i can send my phone number.
Steve

1 Like

shwmae, this Sunday 12th June we are meeting up at the Rowville Library, Stud Park Shopping Centre, Stud Rd, Rowville VIC at 2pm… There is room there to practise and play card games and a coupla interesting shops nearby to start us on new vocabulary All Welcome. Steve

1 Like

Next meet up on Sunday 13th at Belgrave. We are meeting in front of the Cameo Theatre. At 10am. Anyone new wanting to come - or arriving late - message me direct and i’ll send my number. Gweld ti fory. Steve

1 Like

^^ heads up for the typo in this post, people. should say Sunday 19th - tomorrow

1 Like

Some big news on the Melbourne front!

Rowville Library has offered to officially host our group, and so we’ve decided to meet there from 1 till 4 pm on the first and third Sundays of every month, at least until September. That means 3 and 17 July, 7 and 21 August, 4 and 18 September. As a group we like to be a bit more active and outdoors, but with winter settling in it’ll be terrific to have a guaranteed roof over our heads - with tea and coffee provided!

For related admin reasons we’ve set up an email address rowvillewelsh@gmail.com, so if you’d like to join us or have any questions, you can contact Steve or me on here, use that email address or just turn up! If for any reason we’re not going to be meeting on any of the above dates, we’ll definitely post on here just in case someone was planning on dropping by.

So our next planned date is the 3rd of July, from 1pm to 4pm at Rowville Library - this time as an “official” language group!

2 Likes

Awesome! #ebostwythnosol :slight_smile:

Hey Guys,

Great to hear you have achieved ‘official status.’ As I live in Coburg, I doubt I’ll get to Rowville too often. However, I’m keen for the Melbourne SSiW people and other Welsh speakers to work together. We often get enquiries about our Welsh classes in the city. But for many people the distance/time/commitment is prohibitive. It would be great to be able to recommend your group. Likewise, a group of Welsh speakers - many of them first language - have started monthly pub meetings. You would be welcome to join us. There is also the SSiW Aussie Skype group which is meeting monthly. It would be great to be able to feed people into whatever channel suits them and to also have some occasional interaction between the groups. And maybe run a Bootcamp one day! How do you think we can achieve this?

3 Likes