Meet up for conversation practice Canton, Cardiff area?

Hello!

I am a newbie to the forum. Been lurking for a while but this is my first post!

I was wondering if there is anyone in my area that I could meet up with for a bit of conversation practice? I live in Canton, Cardiff?

My background is as follows: I learnt Welsh at an English medium school up to G.C.S.E level. I absolutely hated it - bunked off most of the lessons and basically decided I just wasn’t a ‘language person.’

When my son was born we decided that we would go down the Welsh language education route. He is due to start Meithrin in September. I discovered SSIW about 1.5 years ago and have been doing it very off and on. I have completed the old course 1 and I am halfway through the new Level 1. I also have a lovely private teacher who I meet with every other week for an hour.

If there is anyone out there who also wants to practice and lives close by let me know? I feel like I need some ‘immersion’ in the language and meeting up for conversation practice would really help!

I know that Clonc yn yr Cwtch meets at Chapter on Mondays but unfortunately I work every Monday eve.

Finally thanks to the creators of SSIW - turns out I am not so dreadful at languages, just learning them out of textbook wasn’t for me!

Amber xx

3 Likes

@amber.mottram Croeso, Amber! I can’t help you with local conversation practice, since I live in the US, but I just wanted to say welcome to the forum! I think it’s great that you want your son to have a Welsh language education. Best of luck to both of you with your Welsh journeys :slight_smile: I’m sure someone will be along shortly with ideas for conversation practice help in Cardiff.

2 Likes

Shwmae Amber, a chroeso i’r fforwm!

I was going to say that we have a monthly meet at Y Mochyn Du in Pontcanna on the first Monday evening of every month from 7:30 onwards- only you’ve mentioned already that Monday evenings are no good for you!

However, I work in Cardiff, so I would be happy to arrange a meet with you at a time which would suit us both, and if we post the meeting here, maybe more people could join us as well.

I am hoping to arrange a meet before September with one of our Australian learners before she flies back home. So as soon as we organise a date and time with @Karla we will post that here also.

Gav :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yes, definitely! I’ll be in Cardiff from the 26/08 - 03/09, I think…might have to double check that :confused:! It would be lovely to meet another SSiWer! :grin:

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum. Like the person from the US I cant help with local practice as I live in Australia bit am happy to skype. I am usually up early am so the time diff isn’t realy a problem. How are you going speaking Welsh with you child? My son speaks a bit with me.

2 Likes

Hiya!

That would be lovely to arrange a meet up with you and Gav! Please keep in touch - it would be great to meet others going through this process too!

3 Likes

Yes, I have tried to speak with him and he is starting to speak it back too. I am sure after a while at Welsh school he will be teaching me - I wanted to have a little head start though :slight_smile: That is sooo awesome you are speaking Welsh with your child all the way in the US! Thanks for getting in touch xx

1 Like

Thanks for the warm welcome - much appreciated :smile: xxxx

3 Likes

Absolutely! Turns out I’m definitely going to be in Cardiff from the 26th, so hopefully I’ll see you sometime in that week! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great! Lets keep in touch :slight_smile: xxxx

I think my favourite thing on this forum is when someone new says hello, and immediately gets a long string of welcomes - it always feels like the SSiW community at its very finest… :star: :star2:

And a warm welcome to the forum from me too, Amber… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sometimes, [not for a while, sorry] I rush from work to The Cornwall pub in Grangetown (not too far from Canton) for a 6pm to 7pm [Wednesdays], after work chat session. Apparently Welsh is heard in there some other times as there is a little concentration of Welsh speakers in Grangetown. Also only £2.30 for a pint, in Cardiff!

3 Likes

Shmae Amber
Dw i’n arwain siop siarad yn Oriel Canfas Treganna bob dydd Gwener am 9.45. Yn ailddechrau 22 Medi. Cost £5 am ddwy awr.
You are welcome to join our siop siarad im Oriel Canfas Glamorgan Street on Fridays - restarting 22 Sept.
They are a friendly group of learners who have learned quite a bit but need practise to gain confidence speaking. We have fun - mainly speaking and reading from Lingo Newydd.Mostly through Welsh but some explanations such ss the odd bit of grammar through English. Pob hwyl Lynda

2 Likes

Just leaving this link to a new thread re Meet up in Cardiff next week. Hope something gets arranged…

2 Likes

Great idea @faithless78

I’m Working this weekend. I’m free after about 3pm on Wednesday :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ooh this sounds great! Will try and attend! Thank you!:+1::blush:

Regarding meet up next week I could also do Wednesday but only after 5pm! :+1:

3 Likes

Great tip - thanks so much! :grin:

I have no preference for times, so after 5 is perfectly fine for me! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I won’t be able to come on Wednesday as I will be working (it’s my late week!). @Karla , I may be able to meet with you tomorrow if you’re free, and if anyone else is around, by all means come along too. Just let me know a venue and a time!
Otherwise, I hope you all have a great evening on Wednesday :slight_smile:

1 Like