MEDIUM/HARD question 6 from Siaron [CANFYDDIAD] (Welsh speaker - 2nd language)

1 Like

5 Likes

Okay, I gave this a shot. It’s clear I was thinking hard while speaking and I’m sure I’ve pronounced a few things wrong. I’ll admit I did a bit of editing to take out the worst of the pauses and ummms :blush:

5 Likes

Sounded absolutely fine to me Anna! :slight_smile:

Diolch, Siaron! My biggest frustration at this point (other than lack of vocabulary) is that if I’m thinking in Welsh, I’m SOOOOO slow! And if I think in English and translate, which I’m trying not to do unless I’m stuck for how to express myself and trying to say something “the long way round”, I’m even slower! :smile:

1 Like

As with so many things, the thing that frustrates you most is the thing that will bring most benefit if you just keep doing it. I am so pleased to hear that you are struggling through the process of becoming a Welsh speaker. See the struggle as a growing game, and try to catch yourself doing it well once in a while. You will speed up over time, and you probably won’t notice the acceleration unless you are looking for it, so don’t be too hard on yourself. You’re doing exactly what you need to do, so just think of the prize.

And that just adds to my admiration. It sounds like you have sussed the process. You are already a Welsh speaker - you are just getting better and better at it. Da iawn ti!

4 Likes

Yes, what Iestyn said! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@iestyn Thanks so much for your kind words. I feel very encouraged reading that, especially because it’s easy for me to be hard on myself, and not see my own progress. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply :slight_smile: :star:

@siaronjames Diolch! :slight_smile:

edited to add: I’m amused to see that @iestyn is a “5 Minuter” - I’d think when you’re a first language speaker, your number should be a bit higher :joy:

4 Likes

5 Likes

2 Likes