Measuring how much I speak Welsh - after party challenge

Knowing how difficult taking minutes in one’s own language can be, I’d say taking minutes in Welsh is a real achievement!

5 Likes

… and I second the motion! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

What Mike said! :star2:

There better be an update this week, as I might well be in it!

2 Likes

Ok, here is the update for this week - nearly 5 hours, including Monday night in the Dyfi, meeting up with the chairman to discuss things about the Owain Glyndŵr Centre and quick chats with the volunteers a 45 minute conversation with my Welsh tutor after the (3 hour) lesson.

And… how could I forget, a 45 minute chat with Nicky in Caffi Alys. :grinning: We discussed businesses in Aberystwyth and Machynlleth, how they make a profit (or not), rents and rates on shops, the differences between working for a large organisation or trying to make a living working for yourself, particularly in arts and crafts. Also, how Nicky navigates around Aberystwyth - he does not know the street names! We talked about whether or not we (should) read books, just because they are in Welsh - books that, if they were in English, we wouldn’t read.

Thought provoking stuff!

6 Likes

This week, only 1.5 hours - an hour in the Dyfi on Monday evening and then a few little chats with people in the street and Caffi Alys. I knew I wouldn’t be doing a lot of talking this week, because I’ve not been out and about much in Machynlleth and things clashed with the things I wanted to do in Welsh.

However, I did know that it was likely to be a quiet ‘stay in’ sort of week, so I decided to increase the amount of reading and listening to Welsh (including the Level 2 listening practices). At the moment, I’m reading ‘The Owl Service’ in Welsh, and I have the English version to hand as well, so I can check my understanding quite easily. Funnily enough, I think the Welsh version is clearer, because some of the original English is a bit strange in my opinion. I’m not sure how much time I’ve spent reading and listening (I haven’t recorded it), but probably 10 hours.

So this week, my reading and listening skills have improved - next week I will plan to include more speaking again.

4 Likes

And how does a week like this feel when you’re tracking it?

I’m wondering if this is the kind of week that used to make you feel you weren’t doing very well - and if now you can see it’s just natural ebb and flow, and that you’ve replaced your usual large amounts of speaking with some valuable reading time… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Last week, I did feel a bit disappointed that I hadn’t had many opportunities for conversation, but that was compensated for by the reading. As @aran suggests, previously I think I would have felt a bit despondent, but this time I knew that one quieter week on the chatting side wasn’t a disaster, and there was the opportunity to read. :slight_smile:

It also made me more determined to pursue any chances to chat this week and it was a very busy week! 9.5 hours in total, starting with the usual evening in the Dyfi with Nia, some chats in Caffi Alys, 4 hours with Bronwen, Isata and Milla, playing cards and eating lovely food, Friday evening spent listening to Basque and Welsh music in Caffi Alys,and finishing with Clonc-edigion at @HuwJones’s - more great food and conversation! On top of the 9.5 hours, I went to a Siop Siarad session (1.5 hours) which included watching an episode of Cynefin on the local area.

Now I need a rest and to do some more reading! :relaxed:

5 Likes

And THAT sounds to me like someone who has her journey genuinely solved now… :slight_smile: :star: :star2:

2 Likes