Me, myself and I

diolch i fi?
na, diolch i Aran!
diolch iddo fo?
ie
dim diolch i Catrin Lliar Jones?
dw i ddim yn siwr, diolch iddi hi hefyd, dw i’n meddwl

dim diolch idd?? Iestyn a Beca a Nia a Gruntius? dim diolch idd?? nhw?
Diolch iddofe, fe, Iestyn, hwntw/De, wrth gwrs… Ond…

Sôri for hijacking a bit your exchange @Aran with @rowly, but I just want to start widening out my pronouns - diolch i ti, i chi, i Rowly & ymlaen…

:wink:

1 Like

Whoa, hold your horses here folks - mi and fi are variants, not mutated forms… :slight_smile: So you’ll hear both ‘i mi’ and ‘i fi’, depending only on personal taste…

5 Likes

Well now you’ve just gone and ruined it…! Just as I thought I was learning something new and exciting, you’ve taken the wind out of my sails… taken the rug out from under my feet… wee weed on my bonfire. Meanie. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi , after all!

2 Likes

What you’re looking for is “iddyn nhw” but if you put names then it’s just “i” - diolch i Iestyn a Beca …

2 Likes

wps!..mae’n ddrwg gen i Aran. I had always thought of the “fi” as a mutation, but a sort of optional one.

1 Like

Yndy tad. I did only say it was sometimes mutated… :wink:

(even if it turns out that fi not actually a mutation, after all).

Although actually @aran , in http://geiriadur.ac.uk/gpc/gpc.html the entry for “fi” starts thus:

fi

[ff. dreigledig mi , ac weithiau talf. o myfi ]
… -------------

1 Like

I think that’s turning into a point of etymology now - the important point to note here for SSiW learners is that in terms of usage, mi/fi is about personal taste, rather than rules of mutation… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, that’s the point. The variation between mi and fi - whatever its etymological origin - is not dictated by mutation triggers like most mutated forms are. If it were, then nobody would say i mi - but squillions do, both in the Land of Gog and of course also back on Phobos, moon of Mars and distant homeplanet of the Gogs. :+1:

7 Likes

I thought that was Troy… :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, Mike - you’re thinking of Stingray there, I think…

2 Likes

I do it all the time, and have long since lost track of which is which… (and not just with that construction).

Rowly:

‘I can’ = dw i’n medru (North Welsh)
dw i’n gallu (South)
Then add one infinitive verb, and bung in the oven…
Result: Dw i’n medru (or gallu) cerdded = I can walk.

1 Like