Manx - day 2 of intensive learning

Come ON, Jones. No more slacking. Get on with the last one. [cracks whip]

2 Likes

Ych.

Tired now (but I can say that in Manx…;-)).

Braced for frustration and embarrassment… :slight_smile:

[Which may start with, er, remembering how to do a live Hangout!]

And if that sounded like a joke… :frowning:

I seem to be somewhere near testing something… just waiting for Adrian to let me know he’s around…

https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/lowarevx75dodek2sxj4v3vvcqe

Live! :slight_smile:

1 Like

YOU ARE DOING GREAT!!! I even understood one thing! (at least I thought I did.)

2 Likes

One question: Should R be rolled R or more sound like English R? Sometimes it’s one way sometimes another and I’m curious which originally should be used? Thx.

1 Like

No idea, to be honest - I’m going to go with the excuse that if I’m rolling it where I’m not meant to, that’s just me carrying a Welsh accent into Manx…:wink:

Diolch yn fawr @tatjana and @novem - it was lovely to have company in there!

FFFFfffffffiwww.

Really quite tired now. But also buzzing and happy… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

No, it’s actually that @adriancain even in the course sometmes uses rolled R and sometimes it sounds more like English, that’s why I’m asking though.

1 Like

And for anyone who wants to have a squint at the 30 minute chat in Manx - which felt several very large steps on from what was possible on Day 1 - here it is:

Keep an eye open and you might see a familiar name/face or two appear at the bottom…:wink: I didn’t even know that was possible, actually - thank you both for muting yourself! :star: :star2:

I want to say that we’ll get subtitles sorted out at some point - but we never finished the subtitles for Day 1, because Very Hard And Time-Consuming…

So unless we can figure out a way to fund getting them done, they’ll probably not manage to climb very high on the to-do list just yet (although they will of course, eventually, make the videos much more interesting).

3 Likes

You obviously sorted a group chat rather than just joining in watching as you did at day 1 conversation with @adriancain. It was only fair from us to mute ourselves I’m just sorry I didn’t figure out at once how to do that. Icons are prety small so I had to take a better look of possibilities at the top.

Further on … @aran you should be proud of yourself really. You spoke fluently (in terms of not including many "em"s and what’s more of those silence breaking handy thingys) neither were you silent at times. It was a real chat and I could understnad from the context that you’ve spoken about Manx and Breton which you’d like to learn/speak too (correct me if I’m wrong, please). As I predicted it was many Ta meeagerree expressions and (probably as I understand this now perfectly) this is my most liked phrase of the year in Manx.

Adrian don’t know you that much to know if you’re a fluent Welsh speaker or not but it was great hearing Welsh from your side aswell!

So great job and thank you for letting us being in your company.

3 Likes

It’s what the link you posted makes you do :smile:

Llongyfarchiadau on sounding so fluent - no idea what you were talking about, but you were speaking fast and there wasn’t a lot of “trying to think of words” going on. Very impressed!

Looking forward to the subtitles one day hopefully. Need to know what “they fear some oil” and “dy gwlwm” (edit: or was it gwmwl don’t remember) actually are! (or maybe I’ll just have to learn Manx… Hmm…) :smile:

Waw!

1 Like

:slight_smile: :slight_smile:

‘they fear some oil’ (I doubt I could spell it much better, although I’m fairly sure there’s a ‘fie’ in there somewhere!) - ‘it’s very interesting’

‘dy gwmwl’ + rish - to carry on

a diolch!

2 Likes

I had to watch it after the fact. Da iawn @aran! Really impressive to see you hold a half hour of conversation like that after only two intensive days. I’ve not even finished the first Manx lesson, but I did understand ta me geeree and I did know ta me tiggle from when you had your first chat with Adrian. It was quite fun to hear Adrian siarad Cymraeg at the end - I understood that part! :slight_smile:

Hope you are getting some restful sleep now - you must be exhausted. I expect you are dreaming about/in Manx… :wink:

3 Likes

Ooh, cool :smile: Diolch!

2 Likes

Hmmm … that “lovely” word “stop” you didn’t use anywhere I presume … What it is? :slight_smile: I’d really like to know that “secret” before comming any further in my learning. :slight_smile:

Oh, and yes … Moghrey Mie. (Good morning.) (1st lesson on “Ynsee Gaelg” page".

I’ve no idea how I ought to spell it, but it sounds like ‘sgwyrr’… :slight_smile:

1 Like