Machynlleth

Helo. We are heading up to Machynlleth for a wee holiday and I wondered if anyone knew places that might be good for talking Welsh. (I am only a beginner so nowhere scary please)!
Diolch!

3 Likes

Helo, you won’t have any problem with finding somewhere to practice your welsh in Mach! All the locals speak Welsh it seems, so if you pop into the Co Op or one of the little cafes you’ll be able to practice! It’s because of this that I’m trying to learn the language! We have a caravan just outside Mach, and have made friends in the area, but it’s frustrating not to be able to talk to them in Welsh! Have a lovely holiday, and I hope you love it up there like we do!

3 Likes

Diolch

Siop Alys not only has delicious cakes but a friendly staff who, I’ m sure, will be happy to chat in Welsh to you.

2 Likes

Siop Alys is lovely for tea/coffee and you can have a look round the Owain Glyndwr Senedd-dy (entry is free) and the information is all bi - lingual. Are you in Mach on the second Saturday of this month - we have the SSIW meet up in Siop Alys then.

I started learning Welsh when I bought a caravan at Cwmllinau and then I moved here. It’s a lovely area and the people are very friendly and keen to encourage Welsh learners.

3 Likes

Diolch - I will try Siop Alys tomorrow.
Unfortunately we are going home the day before your meet-up

CAT (Canolfan Technoleg ??) just a few miles north of Mach is certainly worth a visit and affords plenty of opportunity to talk, listen and participate in Welsh

2 Likes

And the Dyfi Osprey Project, two miles south of Mach, is good, Some of the volunteers are Welsh learners,.

2 Likes

How lovely that you’ve moved there. Our caravan is at Corris and we spend a lot of time in Mach when we’re there. We’re coming down again on the 18th for a week, and I’m going to try and practice a little bit on the girls who work in Maengwyns! Hopefully at some point during the year we will be in Mach on the one of the days that you have the SSIW meet up.

1 Like

So far I have managed to have a wee chat in Aberdovey and in a lovely pub in Pennal :slight_smile: People seem very nice up here

3 Likes

And Portmeiron is fab. All the staff chatting in Cymraeg :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I like it in Mach - my wife had relatives in a village just outside. People seem very friendly and when you speak Welsh to them, they love it. Once went to a funeral, and afterwards, at the wake a chap - who’d been at the funeral immediately after ours - came over to me and started talking in Welsh. I turned to him and said " Dyw i ddim siarad Cymraeg yn dda iawn - Saesno dw i. " " English? he said. He couldn’t understand why an English person would be at Aberystwyth crematorium - or rather, he was taken aback to find one. Lol! I’m still surprised that I could find the Welsh to speak to him… I don’t tend to speak Welsh to people when I go to Mach - because I’m afraid that I will not be understood, or that I will not understand the answers…

2 Likes

Sounds like a great reaction under pressure :sunny:

I suppose you’re currently sick of people asking you why you’re not practising tennis?..:wink:

On the other hand ymarfer is good, they tell me… When I offered to autograph people’s balls, they ignored me :’)

2 Likes

Also, I should be practicing my Welsh…

1 Like

So should the other one, instead of wasting his time hitting little yellow balls…:wink:

1 Like

He finds it pays him better… :smile:

1 Like

Ah, yes, there is that…:wink:

Just a reminder that the Mach meet-up is this Saturday, 11th July at 10.30 in Siop Alys.

Also, Thursday of next week, Sioned Fflur of Mentor Maldwyn has organised an evening event to put forward ideas for what we would like to see happening in the area for Welsh Learners and Welsh speakers alike. It will be a social gathering, and an opportunity to siarad Cymraeg.

An evening of chat, cheese and wine:
Thursday 16th July at 6:30pm at the Owain Glyndwr Centre, Machynlleth, we will be holding an evening to discuss what events and activities you would like to see in the Dyfi area. Come along and share your ideas in a fun and entertaining evening. There will be light entertainment during the evening during the night too. There will be a warm welcome for anyone who wishes to see the area full of life and activites. This is a chance also for you to visit the wonderful Parliament that we have in Machynlleth. We shall look forward to see you on the night!

2 Likes

Diolch yn fawr, Helen.
We shan’t be there on Saturday, as we’re too far away - though hopefully we will get there one day.
Pob Hwyl,
Andy.