Machynlleth Tuesday June 7th and Wednesday June 8 Welsh Meetup

Hello everyone,

We are a group college students from Québec, we speak French, English and learning Welsh (Basic introductions and numbers!) We have activities and games. Contact me directly if you are interested and discuss time and place. We’d love to hear from you!
jfjoubertesl@gmail.com

We will be in Machynlleth Tuesday June 7th and Wednesday June 8

Diolch yn fawr!

Jean-François Joubert

I just thought I might mention a few places to go in the Machynlleth area, but unfortunately I am out and about too, so can’t suggest a meetup.

Wednesday is market day in Machynlleth, so it’s busy and everywhere is open! Wednesday morning 10-12, Clwb C meets for Welsh conversation in the café in the Museum of Modern Art and they welcome all levels. While you’re there, if you’re interested in landscape painting, there is an exhibition upstairs ‘Romanticism in the Welsh Landscape’, which includes two Richard Wilsons! He is the ‘father’ of landscape painting and was from Penegoes, just 2 miles outside Machynlleth.

Also in Machynlleth, is the Owain Glyndwr Senedd-dy (Parliament House), a Grade 1 listed building with an bi-lingual exhibition about Owain Glyndwr (open 10am - 4pm), and next door is Siop Alys (lovely tea shop, where they go out of their way to welcome Welsh learners).

On the way from Aberystwyth to Machynlleth, is the Dyfi Osprey Project, the notice boards are bi-lingual, a good number of the staff are Welsh speakers, and some of the volunteers are Welsh learners. The cost to go down to see the Ospreys and other wildlife from the 360 degree Observatory is £3.

There are many other things to do and other Welsh speaking cafes too.

As you are staying in the bunkhouse in Corris, I’ll also flag @elizabeth_j_corbett_ who was in Corris from Australia and might have some suggestions.

1 Like

Hi All,

Corris is a wonderful community. From memory, the bunkhouse owner is not a Welsh speaker. However, they have a Welsh learners practice morning in the institiwt every Tuesday morning. From memory, it starts at 11 o’clock. Two people will be able to confirm the time. Inge and Beryl. To find them, head to the pub and ask for them by name. Yes, it is that simple. Then knock on their door (within metres of the pub) and say, Liz, from Australia said there was a learner’s practice on Tuesady mornings. Brian who owns the pub doesn’t speak much Welsh but the women who work there do. The trick is to start in Welsh. They won’t unless you do. In fact, that is my biggest tip. START every conversation in Welsh. You will be surprised by how many Welsh speaker are out there. My friend Veronica, who owns Stiwdio Maelor, speaks Welsh. She is not at the Stiwdio every day but you could knock and ask when she will be around. From memory, she often drops in on Tuesdays. Have fun. It is a wonderful community.

1 Like

Diolch yn fawr !
I will follow those leads, looks very interesting :slight_smile:

Headed there this morning, we take the 10 am arrive at 11…

Hwyl

Oh, in that case go straight to the institute cafe and ask whether the welsh practice is on. Have fun!

Hello everyone!

Thanks for all the help! Was a wonderful experience in Corris… ended up just chatting with locals in Welsh!!
Da iawn

2 Likes