Llyncu Geiriau - £50 a pop - looking for contestants again! Filming: 7, 8, 9 of October

Brilliant, you’ll do really well then. That list was obviously an example of the type of things you’ll get. I’ll look forward to watching. :blush:

2 Likes

Anybody thought about this but not gone for it?

There are just three places left now, so contact Ffion asap if you’d like to get your £50 and become a world famous tv star (sorry, typo, that was meant to say word famous)…:wink:

@ali @wondersheep @Cath2 and loads of other people!! You know you want to!

2 Likes

Haha - it’s a little bit above my ability (even if Aran forbids me from claiming I can’t speak Welsh)!

On the contrary, I try to beat you to the punch these days. Pointing out the obvious got old…:wink:

You and @Cath2 would be a stunning team. She’d pull you through.

3 Likes

Just popping up to say that the episode Martin and I are in is “in the can” :slight_smile: We had a lovely visit to Cardiff, including a rather nice hotel last night (which the company were kind enough to extend to my husband too) because we were in the early slot, 08:30 for makeup. @annsimons, it’s only just occured to me, are you the Ann in the team we were playing against?! I think we made some good TV with a close race for points and plenty of pained expressions and squirm-worthy bits - on my part at least, particularly the exposure of my inadequate grasp of Welsh geography (in my defence, I thought for some reason we’d just be playing word games). Martin excelled himself in the “cyfieithu cyflym” rapid translation round. I shall refer to him as Mr. 16 out of 15 from now on… Did I redeem myself in the “Gair am Air” round? Who won? You’ll have to wait for the new year to find out! I will say though that it was an interesting day, fascinating to be among all the hustle and bustle of a professional studio, lovely people of course. It was vocab-expanding, and not just when Eleri Sion fluffed her lines for the third time and said a Bad Word. The technical setup, with the green screen and all the sound management was fascinating. Good luck to all the contestants who will be filming over the rest of this weekend. Next time it comes round, if anyone is hesitating just go for it!

3 Likes

When I was there last year they put me up in a ‘big sleep’ hotel which was anything but nice. :astonished:

Really glad you enjoyed it and I can’t wait for the new series.

1 Like

We were in the Park Inn, across the street from there.

1 Like

@karengo, There were quite a lot of bad words said in the next session as well, judging by the laughter and explanations, but as I don’t know them in English I feel little need to know them in Welsh. I was quite good at the cyfieithu cyflym as well, but there were some weaknesses in other bits of the game. But fun was had by all.

3 Likes

Maybe next year

2 Likes

Here’s a tip: If you’re hopeless at out-of-context translation of single words, don’t volunteer for the Cyfieithu Cyflym round. Your brain will freeze. Sorry Alan.

However, I absolutely stormed the Gwybodaeth Gyffredinol round, winning every single point!

Here’s another tip: If you get the chance, just do it. It was fun and interesting and Eleri Siôn really is as lovely as everyone says.

3 Likes

I think you were very unlucky! I,have never liked peaches much, so,hadn’t a clue what,James’s was in Welsh! You diid brilliantly in your solo! I was a bit unsure about cantores - female? But they didn’t specify! Generallly, i think you were good. No mention of SSiW or how any of you were learning!

1 Like

Watching it at this very moment. Cantores is a female singer. I knew we lost!

I have the mispleasure of driving past that eyesore countless times a day!
My dear old Nain though - she actually stayed there for a couple of nights back in July. Told me it wasn’t her best choice of hotel to stay in and would rather had commuted from Swansea each day instead (but since she doesn’t drive like…)

…which is where she stayed the year before, only it was far too expensive for her this year. As she was attending an event at the Motorpoint across the road it would’ve been the better choice for her otherwise!

1 Like

Can you tell me - Llyncu is that not ‘swallow’ ? It doesn’t seem to make sense!

Llyncu Geriau is literally Swallowing Words. In English Swallowing a Dictionary implies either speaking too much (verbal diarrhoea) or using over flowery language. Perhaps it’s some sort of cross lingual pun?

Diolch! Now I have a faint recollection of being asked, “Have you swallowed a dictionary?”, but it’s an idiom I haven’t heard for years!

Reading it quickly, I’d interpreted it (wrongly) as “swallowing a dictionary” - of course that would have been “geiriadur”, but the mental picture of someone attempting to swallow a dictionary amused me. :slight_smile: (Geiriadur Mawr, anyone?)

1 Like

Here’s the link to the first episode of the new series on Clic http://beta.s4c.cymru/clic/c_level2.shtml?programme_id=533564085 with @karengo and Martin.

2 Likes