Llyfr newydd - Thinking Welsh by Gareth King

Hang on!! :rofl:

1 Like

index pic 1

index pic 2

index pic 3

Oh dear and diawl! Are those clickable for a better view?

Nope, they don’t seem to be (for me using a pc at least - not sure if that makes a difference.) but the one you posted last time with the list of entries is clickable for enlargement.

Same as Siaron here! Still…barely visible, better than invisible! :smiley:

I thought so! So what have I done wrong this time? :thinking:

I have an idea…

1 Like

Aha! Mae hynna’n well, on’d ydy?

4 Likes

1 Like

How come Cleopatra makes the cut, but there’s no sign of Llethaw?

1 Like

Well now Richard, that’s a very good question.

The thing is, it’s about precedents. Once you start putting in place-names simply because they appear in the text, you end up having to put in Crymych. And that simply can’t happen in any decent index, I think you’ll agree.

:rofl:

1 Like

The lovely land of Llethaw IS in, of course - so guaranteed flak over that, I’m hoping. :wink:

1 Like

Sorry. Got to be done. This is my favourite version of Meic Steven’s “Crymych Trip” by my old mates Anweledig.
Apologies in advance for the earworm :rofl:

1 Like

Oh my goodness, I love a good index! A very sadly underappreciated art.

I once commissioned an index for a book about Benjamin Britten that came back with an entry for Harry Potter, and someone grumpy in the chain (forget who now) insisted it was taken out. But I thought it was wonderful - how many of us scan the index to pique our interest, and see Harry Potter (or Cleopatra) only to think “wait … what?!” All adds to the enjoyment of the book, IMO.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m hoping that won’t happen with mine, but I’m prepared for a fight - ‘authorial voice’ and all that. There are a few other little ones in mine - I wonder if they will be spotted by the intelligent people inhabiting this forum?

2 Likes

Absolutely! :slight_smile: