Llyfr newydd - Thinking Welsh by Gareth King

Yes, I don’t want any of my pals on here going for the hardcover versions of any of my books - they are absurdly expensive, all with the same boring cover, and primarily aimed at the libraries of wealthy academic institutions.

3 Likes

I can feel an early Christmas present coming on lol

1 Like

You may certainly feel that, Stephen…I couldn’t possibly comment. :wink:

Good news that it’s out (relatively) soon!

Is this one going to be available in Kindle format, Gareth? I prefer them that way (then I always have them with me instead of them always being in the wrong room…) if possible. Also, I’ve been Banned From Buying Any More Bookcases and the loft is full.

As an aside, how much control do you as the author have over the ebook version? For example, over the use of internal links to sections, which is where ebooks really come into their own. I imagine it’s a pain to do in the writing stage (unless you use specific software) but it’s really useful for the student.

Thanks!

Hi David - I think all Routledge titles are available as eBooks, if that is what you mean - so I presume yes.

I have no control whatever over the mechanisms and format of eBook versions, I’m afraid - it’s all a bit of a closed book to me.
Did you see what I did there? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Did you see what I did there? :slight_smile:

I did indeed, but I forgive you…

In general I think Routledge (and many other publishers) are missing a bit of a trick with their ebook versions: language textbooks like yours are made for interlinking sections (it’s a real benefit over paper), yet they seem to limit themselves to just replicating the physical text. I was hoping you could prod them into being a bit more imaginative, but it won’t stop me pre-ordering the book whent the Kindle version becomes available… (Amazon only has hardback and paperback up at the moment)…

I’m looking forward to reading it!

1 Like

Ŵww… be’ dy “sick burn” yn y Gymraeg?

I’m too old to know what that means in English, never mind Welsh…:slight_smile:

1 Like

So am I, so am I… But I understand it to be the argot de nos jours to congratulate someone on their repartee :slight_smile:

1 Like

Meanwhile, yn Awstralia bell…

1 Like

Bonza! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just a quick progress update for those of you who may be interested - third and final proofs done, and we therefore appear to be on schedule for publication of Thinking Welsh late next month, although Amazon is still listing it as end of November.

5 Likes

Today I’ve had a message from Amazon saying my pre-ordered copy will be released November 29th. That’ll certainly make December much more bearable!

2 Likes

Some would possibly think it would make the perfect early Christmas present, wouldn’t they Siaron?
I couldn’t possibly comment…

4 Likes

:rofl: :joy: :rofl:

Advance copies have arrived!
I hope those of you here who have been kind (and trusting!) enough to pre-order it will enjoy their new addition to their silffoedd llyfrau Cymraeg, and that others may consider following suit. It has been fun to do, and I hope will also be fun (in our special private SSiW meaning of that word) to read.

Discussions now underway with the publishers for the next one - any ideas or wish-fulfilment requests from the lovely denizens here present would be very welcome. There is talk of another Reader. There is talk of Verbs. There is talk of Unimaginable Things. There is talk of Iconoclasm.

8 Likes

Time to complete the trilogy…we’ve had Basic & Intermediate Grammar books…time for Advanced?? I love a good grammar book me…:grinning::+1:

3 Likes

I can’t wait for Christmas day lol

1 Like

My copy should be coming early December according to Amazon Spain :slight_smile:

1 Like

My copy came this morning (£30.10 from speedyhen.com - cheaper than evil Amazon) and, having spent a hour or two reading random pages, I think it’s as informative, amusing and altogether groovy as the rest of @garethrking’s output. I’ve already learnt the Welsh for helicopter (hofrennydd).

3 Likes