Listening / transcription / translation resource

That’s brilliant! Love the accent. I could listen to that all day!

S’mae Steve?

Could you convert your sound file into .mp3 format, as that will be much smaller than a .wav file, and more portable for people to play on various devices. You could open a SoundCloud account (its free), put the file up there, and allow others to download it from there. Also, if you post a link to the file here, it shows up as a nice player, so that it can be played from the forum post, which is neat.

Hwyl,

Stu

Thanks Stu, I’ll sort out an mp3 option asap.

I did set up a Soundcloud account and have linked to it, but didn’t get the nice player. Any ideas on where I’m going wrong?

The only thing I know Steve, is that the link needs to be on a line all on its own. Can you try that?

Hwyl,

Stu

And you normally need to put a line in after the link, too. A blank line will do (just a return character after the link, in effect).

No luck. I’ve pasted the link into its own line using the link that’s provided on the “share” page of the soundcloud file. I’ve also tried the code offered on the Embed page (also on its own line), and neither is producing anything better than what I’ve got now.

Must be doing something very simple very wrong :frowning:

I’ve had a reply from Catrin and yes, to enter in the Eisteddfod the materials have to be sent in by 1st April, so time is of the essence if we want to have a go.
Mind you, we could always just go with the one that you’ve already got Steve and enter it as a sample. It’s such a great idea. If we could make the transcripts look attractive and professional as well so it’s a package that would probably be enough. And maybe a meaningful Short URL to the soundcloud file?

I think I’ve fixed this.

1 Like

Sorry, I wasn’t really paying attention. I would have had a go myself if I’d have realised it was something actually posted above. [rolls_eyes] :wink:

Superb idea, and definitely hugely valuable to intermediate/advanced learners - in fact, it’s more or less exactly one of the things on our list to do post-Level 3 :sunny:

I think as Dee says there is huge, huge potential for St Ffagan’s to provide a range of material like this for learners :thumbsup:

1 Like

I love the way you’ve done that with the building in the background. It looks terrific!

Wasn’t me - that’s all Steve’s work, I just made the soundcloud preview thing appear.

1 Like

Good work to Steve then! It looks very professional.

1 Like

I don’t suppose you both are involved in the saturday course at st Fagans on the 25th April? I thought it looked really interesting…

Not me I’m afraid. I’m off to Tresaith for the Bootcamp - woo hoo! :smiley:

I’ll be at bootcamp too … well, the beginning of it. I have to leave before the end.

Another vote here for that lovely and clear voice, much appreciated especially by the hearing-challenged. Now I just have to worry about the Welsh, but being able to hear it in the first place is half the battle. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s a lovely idea, thank you for posting it. It is a bit hard to understand though! I wonder if that might have as much to do with the subject matter as the accent? AT first it’s like Radio Cymru on a bad day when they decide to do a whole programme out of words I haven’t learnt yet…

Thanks for not posting a translation or transcript yet - I might have a shot at transcribing it later if I get time.

Let me know when you’re ready for the transcript and I’ll post it here. Dee has helped polish it a bit (thanks Dee), there were several bits that beat me!

Thanks Steve. Please do go ahead and post the transcription. I don’t know if I’ll get time to have a go later tonight, but if I do I’ll be good for a bit and won’t look!