Listening practices

Hello, I’ve just started the listening and speaking practices and I have a few questions.

The introduction says in the listening don’t translate - I’m a bit confused by this as its sometimes hard not to.

I also wonder if its useful to jump ahead and listen to the practices for the whole of course 1 even though I’m only on lesson 9 as it will maybe familiarise me with the material before I get to it in the lessons. It also prevents me from translating of course. It seems like a gentler version of listening to the radio where you understand a greater proportion of what’s being said.

Would love to hear your listening practice experiences :slight_smile:

Kate

Shwmae Kate.
With the listening practices, you just do exactly what it says on the tin! The idea is that you have Welsh words you have learned already just wash over you, spoken at normal speed. The brain subconsciously registers what you’re listening to and over time you will begin to understand what is being said without having to think about it. When you try to translate, you’re just changing it back to English, when really you shouldn’t be thinking of English at all! It takes time, but it comes to you eventually!
As for doing the full course practices, there isn’t any harm in doing the listening practices as it helps you to familiarise yourself with the sounds of spoken Welsh. And it’s more immersion in the language, which will help with your understanding over time. I wouldn’t recommend doing the full speaking practice until you finish lesson 25 (or 26 for the north course). Stick to lessons 1-6 speaking practices for the time being.
Gav :slight_smile:

I also wonder if its useful to jump ahead and listen to the practices for the whole of course 1 even though I’m only on lesson 9

The key thing here would be to stop immediately if it made you feel down-hearted at all! But yes, it ought to work as a kind of radio-lite approach…:smile:

But I absolutely agree with Gavin about the speaking practices…:smile:

Ahhh, now I get it - I shouldn’t be thinking about English at all - that clarifies things a lot :slight_smile: sometimes I get half a feeling that I’m understanding without translating. The English words seem to be lurking though under a very thin veil and I keep glimpsing them however much I try not too. Still, good to have some further indication of what it is that I’m aiming for.

Thanks SSiW for turning my brain to jelly :slight_smile: I’ve been going at a pretty intensive pace with the lessons which sometimes feels a bit too much but I’m still hungry for more so I’m not slowing down yet :slight_smile:

Oh yes - I agree with Gavin about the speaking too! Was just listening. Radio lite - I like that - and it doesn’t make me feel downhearted - more like excited :slight_smile: thanks for the advice :slight_smile:

I’ve been going at a pretty intensive pace with the lessons which sometimes feels a bit too much but I’m still hungry for more so I’m not slowing down yet :slight_smile:

Sounds like a great approach! There’ll be a lesson sometime which you completely blank, and that’ll be the sign to slow down for a bit - but even then, you’ll get back up to speed soon - and I’m increasingly certain that the faster you go, the more you enjoy it, and the more comfortable you get with the ideal ‘mistakes = fun’ approach…:smile:

Gavin: really you shouldn’t be thinking of English at all!

Diolch Gav! That was a lightbulb moment for me too. No English at all. Now I can start doing them properly. Diolch. :slight_smile: