Like like like!

It’s working for me (that’s how I’m replying here).

What browser/OS are you on?

Something a bit weird that’s happened to me twice now. I’ve been in a thread looking at posts when I decide I want to go back to the top level. I click on the ‘Discuss’ at the top as it seems the quickest way to jump back, I get a flash of a message ‘Access denied’ and suddenly I’m in SaySomethinginCornish!! How did that happen?? :confounded:

Sounds like one for @Kinetic .

1 Like

I think it may well be The Force.

You may well be right. Subliminal messages reminding me I haven’t done any Cornish for probably a year now.

Destiny wants you to learn Cornish…

I like the way it adjusts the display when changing between landscape and portrait modes, e.g. the expansion of the avatar lists, little touches like that make it very smooth :star2:

@Dee, the same thing happens to me, and I never learned Cornish. :slight_smile:

Heh, I ended up with the Dutch course.

1 Like

Uitstekend!

Is this a subtle way to get SSiWers to take up other languages??

1 Like

My money is more on a hiccup with the workaround that Ifan had to do to get ‘Discuss’ to behave as a ‘category for the last stuff I looked at’ link, so very handy to have this kind of specific feedback :thumbsup:

Aye, and a nasty workaround it was too. :wink: Does it happen reliably for anyone, every time? That would be really handy.

Hmm, I couldn’t get it to happen just now.

Works on my machine! :wink:

Stu

No Ifan, it doesn’t happen every time which is the odd thing about it. I’ll have a play around coming in and out of different topics and see if I can spot any pattern to it. The only thing I can see so far is that for some reason I always go to Cornish if I end up somewhere else, where other people always go to different things. That seems really bizarre!

I’ve been sent to Cornwell too

I can replicate the error by:

If I navigate to forum.saysomethingin.com I don’t get the error

I seem to get it more if I come into the forum by clicking on a link in an email notification, then clicking on Discuss at the top. I just did that now after getting the notification about theblacksparrow’s message above, and still Cornwall.

OK, I’ve just made a change which should at least stop the “access denied” thing. It should now, at worst, send you to the root of the Discourse forum (i.e. not within any specific language category).

Now for a bit of ever-so-slightly techie background (feel free to ignore this…)

Because we’re using first-level categories for languages (i.e. the first level in the Discourse category tree contains language names “Welsh” and “Spanish” right now), there’s no really good way to make the Discourse link at the top do the right thing. The “right thing” being to reliably send the user back to the conceptual root of their language’s forum, i.e. its top-level category (/category/welsh in the case of Welsh) - that’s what people would expect if started out on SSiW and consider themselves to be “on the Welsh forum”.

The original plan was a somewhat ugly hack to point the Discuss button within Discourse at a page which tries to guess from the referer which language’s forum the user was on, and redirect to the root of the appropriate category. But that falls down in what is probably the commonest case - which is when people have found their way to something not under a category (such as the PMs area, or their prefs) and want to get “back to the forum”. It fails because those pages don’t have any evidence of which category the user came from in their URL. So the next plan was an even equally ugly hack to base it on the main site’s sessioned value for most recently visited language.

So what was happening with the “access denied” message was that the session data was telling it that your most recently accessed language was Cornish or Dutch, and it was trying to send you to the most appropriate forum URL for the language in question - and of course the forums for those aren’t enabled, hence the error. As of a few minutes ago, however, if the session data tells it that you’re on something other than Spanish or Welsh, you’ll just get redirected to the root of Discourse.

The odd thing is, why was the site thinking that some of you guys had been accessing the Cornish or Dutch courses most recently? Could that have been true, or is there shenanigans going on? :S