Level 2, challenge 21

Getting a bit tripped up by some of the ‘nag’ negative phrases towards the end. Any chance someone could scribble some of them down?

…just has a listen to last 8 mins of southern course (slightly randomly) and couldn’t hear any - are you doing the northern course?

Rich :slight_smile:

Apologies for wasting eight minutes of your time. Just realised I’ve had a total brainstorm. It was actually challenge 22 from about 28mins. Duh!

1 Like

Was it “Naeth o’m deud wrtha I” with “naeth” sounding like “nath”?

If so, The “naeth” bit means “did”. and the negative bit is “o’m” (o ddim/he not).

I see, yes, so in Welsh you have the (cool) capability - which doesn’t exist in English to say both ‘that’ and ‘not’ at the same time.

With this option it means that the clause afterwards doesn’t need to be negative and have a ‘ddim’ - it can be a positive statement.

It does use the ydy or yw version of bod after the nag however ( which I’ve never really thought about until now - so thank you!)

So…

I said that he doesn’t want to go

Dwedais i nag yw e’n moyn mynd

Alternatively you could say bo’ fe ddim yn mynd ( or bod e ddim yn) which would mean exactly the same thing.

It’s a very compact way of speaking - I understand it’s considered very ‘natural’ Welsh (brownie points available!) - but takes a bit of practice as a learner to think ahead - before thinking about the ‘ddim’ (!) - if you want to get the nag in, in time!

Does that clarify things…,

Thanks. So is the nag fairly flexible for past present and future? For example:

nag ot ti’n meddwl (you didn’t think).
nag i fi moyn (I don’t want)
nag yn nhw’n bwyta (they don’t eat)

1 Like

Yup, you’ve got the idea…

Nagw i’n = nac ydw i’n

Or na (fy) mod i’n