Level 1 challenges have a hiccup in the middle!

Hello, I’ve just started learning and have done the first three level 1 challenges. They’re great, but on each one, almost exactly in the middle, a few words or a sentence will be missing, or sometimes repeated. I can’t find any other mention of this, so am I the only one having problems? I am working on a Lenovo ideapad with windows 10 and Chrome, if that makes any difference.

1 Like

Are you doing the North or South course?

Hi @clairelorraine1 - I had gone through every lesson of the Northern course Levels 1 and 2 without any issue using Firefox. Today, however, I tried reviewing Level 2 Challenge 25 using Chrome for the first time and had exactly the same issue as you. In several places, the audio skipped like an old LP record. I was wondering what was going on. I’ll try the same lesson again in Firefox tomorrow, but my guess is it’s a Chrome issue.

1 Like

@philipnewton - I just finished doing the same lesson (North, Level 2, Challenge 25) using Firefox; and, as suspected, I had no trouble at all. So, I think we’re pretty safe in thinking that this is a Chrome issue. Hope this helps.

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know about this, Claire - I’m going to tag @Kinetic in here for when he gets back from his break, so he can do some double checking… :slight_smile:

Hi Claire,

In the meantime, until Kinetic is back, it may be worth your while trying the advice offered here: https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/comments/3ffhkz/choppy_audio_in_google_chrome_after_upgrading_to/

Are you streaming directly from the SSi site, or do you download the sound files first? If the former, your network speed could also be a cause.

BTW, I’ve not encountered any hiccups while streaming any challenges via Chrome on my Linux thingy.

2 Likes

Just ran through that same lesson (Northern, Level 2, Challenge 25) using Chrome but applying your fix to the end of the properties of the shortcut @louis ( --audio-buffer-size=2048 ). Happy to say, that fixed the skipping problem. So, perhaps @Kinetic, that might help you to diagnose the issue.

Love helping out with this sort of thing. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The extra input is hugely helpful, so diolch o galon :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi - yeah, it seems like it’s definitely just a browser thing, which I think means there isn’t anything we can do but hope Google sort the problem out, and if it becomes a bigger problem, we might have to put a message on the site explaining how to do the fix. (Nice one @louis for finding that!) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello @clairelorraine1, is this your first posting? I only popped in here to say, “Croeso!” and I’m glad it looks like Margaret and Louis have sorted out a fix for you! That is just the sort of thing that happens here. Those who can, help with any problem that pops up! @tatjana is very good with a lot of ‘techy’ stuff! Where are you? And have you seen the ‘Why did you try SSiW’ thread? Your input might be useful!
Dal ati. I’m sure you’ll progress fast! (Unlike the aged dragon tying this, who spends too much time chatting!).

2 Likes

Croeso mawr @clairelorraine1.

Thx @henddraig but this techy soul of mine is not on here lately as much as I would like to be so many things pass me by at the moment. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m doing the south course, hoping that is the best for the Aberystwyth to Devil’s Bridge Falls area. Sorry about the delay in replying - we’ve been away, minus computer.

2 Likes

Thank you! Just got back from a few days away so shall try it today. I’ve also found I can download the MP3 onto my phone (Smartphones are new to me) and the glitch is not there.

2 Likes

Hello! Yes, this is my first posting on a forum of any sort! I usually just stay on the fringes, but I needed help. I live in the Peak District. My husband and I took a holiday in Wales in the autumn and someone we met, finding that we like languages, suggested we try this website. I’m the first to get my feet wet but I’m sure my husband will take the plunge soon.

4 Likes