Let me know

In lesson 22, in the Southern course 3, we were introduced to “Gad i fi”. In lesson 23, I am healing something like “Tell i fi” for “let me know…” Is it the same thing?

Let me go out on a limb here, not having listened to that lesson. Could it be something like “dech i fi”, short for “gadewch i fi”, the plural form of “gad”?

1 Like

Dewch i fi is the only thing I can think of, too, unless there’s some other kind of hiccup happening here…

1 Like

Hey, wouldya look at that. I’ve never stopped to think of dewch i ni… as an abbreviation of gadewch, I guess I always just assumed it was the same dewch from dod and accepted it without question as “just one of those things people say”. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the answers. I will listen again. But it sounds more like the English “tell” than the Welsh “dwech” and ends with gwybod. I would have said “gawd ee vee obod” for let me know. This sounds more like Tel ee vee obod.

My advice which isnt to be relied on greatly…

Dont worry too much. Its one phrase out of many that you learn. You know the structure for let me know and let us know.

If you havent done the levels do them. Or move to next lesson. And good luck.

1 Like

And you’d be fine with that, so Peter’s right about not worrying about it…

But if you could let me know at what time in 23 you’re hearing it, I’ll try to track it down… :slight_smile:

It’s at 7:21
Can you let me know when she can help us
Elleedee atel eevee obod preed ellhee helpeenee

Aha! That is “adael” - from “gadael”. “Gad” is the imperative form of that, as in your first example, (g)adael is the full verb. So the answer to your original question is yes :wink:

1 Like

Great find - yes, what Louis said! :slight_smile:

Just to be clear,
Can you LEAVE me (To?)know when she can help us, is the same as Can you LET me know when she can help us?

Well, not quite - this about languages not mapping - the English word ‘let’ is often represented by the Welsh word ‘gadael’, but the Welsh word ‘gadael’ can sometimes (although not always) be used when the English would use ‘leave’.

The meaning crossover is round about where you’d be with ‘Leave me be/Let me be’ in English…

1 Like

Ah. That’s sensible. Much clearer now. Diolch Aran!

1 Like