Lesson 4 'it' question

I noticed that some of the time when saying it, the ‘i’ word that goes with it is sometimes said and sometimes not.

For example, when saying I’m going to do it, you would say Dwi’n mynd i i neud e, with 2 i’s right next to each other this would sound weird, but i’ve noticed that usually they leave out one of these i’s to create Dwi’n mynd i neud e…

Is this correct or is it a quick shortcut???

What’s going on?

is absolutely fine. That’s what you’ll often hear even though it’s not ‘correct’ from a strict grammatical point of view.

is slightly wrong. The second i there is actually the word ei (his or her or its depending on who you’re talking about), though it can sound very like i. And you’re right that forcing the ei and the i together makes saying them somewhat awkward. This is why, over the centuries i ei has become the less awkward i’w.
So, the full sentence would be Dwi’n mynd i’w wneud e.
But, as I said earlier, Dwi’n mynd i neud e is fine, even if it won’t win you the chair at an Eisteddfod. :wink:

Wow, thanks for the help. I was only interested in the correct way of saying it but I suppose at the end of the day as long as everyone can understand me then that’s the main thing. Thanks again.

@william_1 “but I suppose at the end of the day as long as everyone can understand me then that’s the main thing”

If you go through the SSiW course with that attitude, then you will be a very happy and confident Welsh speaker very soon. Da iawn!

I always say, for any second language, if you start off happily speaking the language poorly, you will quickly come to speak it well, If you wait until you speak well before you use it, then you will possibly never speak it…

And Welsh is, in some respects, more flexible than most, because we are used to second language speakers not having mastered the subtleties of “first language Welsh”. Couple that with our own relaxed-ness about not speaking “standard” Welsh, and you’ll find yourself getting away with most stuff!

1 Like

[quote=“Iestyn, post:4, topic:1042, full:true”]
If you wait until you speak well before you use it, then you will possibly never speak it…[/quote]
The importance of this statement cannot be over-emphasised!

Hwyl,

Stu