Lesson 4 and mynd or fynd

Completed lesson 4. Thats where I quit in the past. Quite a struggle with that but
after I finish the last half again once or twice Im ready for 5.

one problem is switching between verb tenses.

Another is ,can anyone explain when to use mynd or fynd? Like put it in a brief rule? Somehow Im getting stuck on that detail. Is it the softening after the i? Is it a tense thing? Im missing something here and Im betting its pretty obvious. Nevertheless Im missing something

Yes, this causes mynd to mutate to fynd, but so do some other prepositions (After the prepositions ‘am’ (at / for), ‘drwy’ (through), wrth’ (by), ‘heb’ (without), ‘tan’ (until) for example)

But the bottom line is - as always - don’t worry too much about it. You’ll pick these up as you go along and it’s not a huge thing to miss or add mutations when you’re starting out, you’ll still be understood :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Your question reminded me the way I felt a few months ago, when - after struggling with it for a while - I asked the forum:
“(in some challenges) I hear words like mynd and menyw changing sometimes into a v sound, and I have the impression that gofyn becomes ofyn. Is there some sort of rule about it?”

Since then, I read many answers and explanations on the subject (that are always very interesting) although I have to admit that the theory behind mutations still seems quite obscure to me. :scream:

However, the other day I repeated lesson 25 of Level 1 and well…I got 100% of them right. :grin:

Just to confirm that, in my experience, it’s true that you might as well not worry about it and you’ll pick it up as you go along, as @siaronjames said.

2 Likes

Ww, that’s the sound of a Welsh speaker… :star: :star2:

1 Like