Learning - In with the New, but Out with the Old first

Oh HOW I sympathise with you hewrop, I am 73 and didn’t start learning until I was 70 and I find the more Welsh I learn the more English I have to forget to make room for it. My long suffering husband get quite cross when I say words in Welsh but at least the dog is now fluent in Welsh and can understand what I mean!!
The only way I can rmember everything is to constantly revise page after page of all the vocabulary I have ever learnt and continually repeat the last three lessons of course three.
I must say that doing the first “New” course Northern on the online bootcamp (That was great by the way) was a big help in understanding on my frequent trips to North Wales.
Talking about my trips to NW, I have met with so much help from the people there especially in Bala where on a recent visit I didn’t hear or speak a word of English for neary three hours - “Her” or what!!!

2 Likes

By the way, thank you for showing me how to spell what I suffer from!!! I heard it and have been mis-spelling it ever since as ephasia!!

To Carolynne, you are clearly very advanced in your learning of Cymraeg after only 3 years!! I will actually put a bit of effort into improving mine, you have shamed me into it!!!

1 Like

I should have mentioned that during my three hours in Bala people had to speak slowly to me because obviously I struggle a bit with the Northern accent but, to my surprise, I had to speak slowly to them because they couldn’t understand the Southern accent very well!!! At times we sounded a bit like Darleks!!!

5 Likes

I’m guessing it’s affasia in Welsh or some variation of hebgaer :slight_smile:

1 Like

I do this too. I think I suffer from Trans-Lingual Alliterative Dyslexia as I always want to say Danke rather than Diolch. And don’t get me started on the bwyta/bitte conundrum. :smile:

1 Like

Not exactly what this article is saying, but related: http://linkis.com/qz.com/418603/forget/3U89I

1 Like