[L1C2 Southern] Longer Sentence Trouble - Soldier on to C3 or repeat C2 until it clicks?

Hello,

Having much trouble with the longer sentences even though I understand most of the words (minor hiccups remembering ‘to practice’ - keep wanting to say ‘yn barod’, for example). However, my problem is that I am unsure if I am required to keep practising the lesson to the point where I am successful more often than not with repeating the long sentences (and boy, aren’t they long?) or whether the goal is to just have a good go of them and progress with the idea that my short term memory will improve naturally as I progress.

I am able to answer all of the shorter sentences with ease and have taken advice at narrating my day to day activities with my ever increasing vocabulary. Enjoying it very much!

Any clarification and guidance is much appreciated.

2 Likes

I’d just keep going, personally. Most people have trouble with the longer sentences, because they are rather long and there’s a lot of stuff to keep in mind at once.

2 Likes

@richardskitt Just keep going. I agree with @hectorgrey that most of us struggle with the long sentences. And mixing things up like ymarfer and yn barod happens to all of us, too. You can always go back later if you feel you need to, but I think you’ll be surprised at how much “clicks” as you keep moving forward. Spaced repetition is a wonderful thing!

Welcome to the forum! Never hesitate to come ask questions - we are a friendly bunch :slight_smile: Keep enjoying the process, and let us know how it goes!

3 Likes

Hello, I’m another learner on Level 1 South. I think Iestyn says at one point that the longer sentences are all about stretching our short term memory, the way we need it when we have conversations in welsh to hold in mind what people have said, have you got to that bit yet?

I certainly struggled with the longer sentences in the first few challenges and that advice from Iestyn made me relax and just accept that it would come with practice. I think it has as I am now on challenge 10 and it is getting easier to hold the longer sentences in mind, even if I am counting the bits on my fingers sometimes. =)

I’d agree with the others, as long as you are getting 80 % then move on to the next challenge.

3 Likes

Nope, just give 'em your best shot and move on - you’ll get benefits from hearing the fuller forms, so it’s all good (and many of them are just a bit too long…;-)). :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That is very reassuring guys! I’m going to have one final blast at C2 and then move straight on to C3.

Thank you all very much.

3 Likes

I hardly need to say this. Everyone else has made the point, but it truly does work to ‘just carry om’ even if you get a lot less than 80% right! (I always mixed up ymarfer with gwella!)! Currently, I am chugging on doing one challenge per evening come what may, health permitting! I find that things do enter my mind eventually! Well I now know that ymarfer is practice and gwella is improve, just to start with! Keep going! Dal ati!

2 Likes

I’m glad that I’m not the only one having difficulty with these long sentences. Started L3 C1 and C2 OK but struggling thereafter. Beth bynnag sticks in my mind

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @richardskitt first.

Then on … I had/have the same problem all the time but I was advised to carry on without repetition so I do that. As much as I can say you’d be quite unlikely to use such long sentences in real live conversation and they (this is how I see it) are here to give you kind of “word games” to play so you train language and (probably) memory at the same time. I never get all long forms correct or very rearly although I understand them and know what to say in Welsh but if not other thing I miss the tense in which it was said in English …

Keep going because there are more and more such long thingys in the lessons so plenty of time/opportunity to practice both, your speaking and memory skills/abilities.

Hwyl!
Tatjana :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks everyone!

Tried C3 and it knocked me for six. Eager to jump back into it tomorrow.

2 Likes