Keeping more than one language alive and well

I’ve got an (unproven) theory about this. I think that language learning can be mixed, providing that the languages being learnt simultaneously come from different “families”. In Mike’s example, he’s got a Celtic language, a Germanic one, and a Romance one. The three are very different, aren’t they? - structure, grammatical system, etc.

However, I’d imagine that if one tried to learn two different languages from the same “family” at the same time, confusion would result! e.g. trying to learn German and Dutch simultaneously; French and Spanish; Welsh and Cornish!

As I say, my theory is unproven, and I realise I could be speaking a whole load of nonsense. I do sometimes! :grin:

4 Likes

Not only am I a republican when it comes to Wales, I have grave doubts about your particular choice for my future liege Lord. :wink::blush:

And if we do ever decide to bring one back, I certainly think the palace deserves to be the last to know. :wink::blush:

2 Likes

Good thinking, that man!

There’s Asterix of course! :blush:
But however enjoyable the experience of reading it, the translations, by necessity due to the style of it, can be very different.

Yet Another Blessed Harry Potter could be an example of your other suggestion, of course.

I made a half-hearted attempt at learning Corninsh whilst I was learning Welsh. It didn’t seem to cause many problems or confusion. But maybe I was already familiar with the “sound” and “feel” of Welsh (if not the details) to an extent that kept Cornish separate, as it were. Like you, I don’t know!

2 Likes

I tried learning Cornish and Welsh at the same time, but decided to stop with Cornish for a while, because it was too confusing. I don’t think, though, that learning languages from the same family is a bad idea - Latin and Italian helped me a lot with French. They provide a sufficient base for understanding it, at least.

2 Likes

Gweriniathwr dw’i!!! :smiley:

1 Like

I think that language learning can be mixed, providing that the languages being learnt simultaneously come from different “families”

Within the latin (Romanic) languages I find Spanish and Italian very confusing to learn together. There are so many similarities but also quasi-similarities that are “false friends”. So though you have an advantage with hundreds of words and phrases so do you have a disadvantage with hundreds of others. Also in places where you would expect the same degree of convergence they instead differ. So for me your theory stands up to the test there.

On the other hand I find I can learn French alongside either Italian or Spanish. I think this is because there is a much greater influence from the North of France in today’s French such that a large part of it is dissimilar to the Occitan (Southern) latin based languages like Spanish and Italian. I believe French was part of the Occitan group (latin diaspora following the commerce trail with the Romans) before the Northern French dominated from Paris.

Justin

1 Like

I started learning Welsh some three years ago, mostly with SSiW, and have finished gogledd 1/2/3, level 1 and now I switch between level 2 and the DuoLingo course, since two weeks ago when it came out.

A year ago, I started some Irish on DuoLingo too, just to check it out. Later though I decided to start Swedish (just out of curiosity) and then also Italian. I have had half a year of Italian in school, 35 years ago, but never was far enough to understand or even speak it. I always worried about the effort spent without return, and because some Italian is always around us here in the Swiss-German speaking parts of Switzerland (e.g. most products are also labelled in Italian, because of the Italian speaking areas, and there are plenty of Italian speakers to use as practicing material), I decided to push it to the point where I would passively understand 100%, and have simple conversations too).

Time however. Irish is rusting quickly in the back yard, and I only do one hour of Swedish a week, to keep it from evaporating too quickly. I hope to save some Swedish over the Italian job, which will not take too long - with my head start, I should be able to finish it this year. I am still working on Welsh, and interestingly, it does quite well even after several weeks of neglect!

I had French and Latin in school, too, but both with window seats. The remaining fragments do help with Italian, though. I also consider doing a Cambridge proficiency exam (tests say I would just about pass, but I would want some space to feel safe, or is it room, you see what I mean). I found that there is hardly any confusion between English, Swedish and German, every little confusion or false friend is 100 times amortized by the profit from common stock. Likewise, neither did the pair French / Italian caused problems, nor did intensive learning of Irish and Welsh at the same time cause much trouble.

The only conflicts are for time and neurons.
In fact, I learned that in Italian both “ti amo” (unstressed you) and “amo te” (stressed) work, but “te amo” is Spanish - they explain this to bust confusion, I guess.
I do however, not do more than three languages per day, and do something in between, so the smoke clears.
But I do think that some confusion would happen if I did several languages too closely, in sub-concious processes.

Iechida!
Martin

3 Likes

Geriadur Bangor crashed when I looked up Gweriniathwr (it entered an infinite loop of joy). It liked Gwerinaethwr better.

Cheers, M

1 Like

I can empathise and sympathise with everyone on this thread. I’ve been a non-stop language dabbler for as long as I can remember. I just have to hear someone speaking another language and I want to learn it! But as soon as I started on a new language I would struggle to keep up the others and they just slip away and become something I can usually still read, and understand if the other person doesn’t speak too fast, but very hard for me to produce.
However, I’m determined to get them all back - so I’ve started on the ones I was reasonably fluent in before and then I’ll progress to the others. A friend of mine in Tenerife has just started trying to revise his rusty English so we’ve agreed to a Skype language swap every now and then - I’ll help him practise his English and he’ll help me practise my Spanish. The trick for both of us is going to be finding the time, and I think that’s probably the hardest thing for all of us! How to fit in a little bit of each language that you want to maintain or build up when you have so many other things to do?
We’re spoilt with Welsh now - just pop the headphones on when you go for a walk and there you are: exercise and Welsh at the same time. Just imagine how much walking I’ll be doing when the other SSi languages are ready!!

4 Likes

Beautifully expressed - and it says it all, doesn’t it,

Justin

If only we had more time and more neurons!! - which is why it’s so important to choose a powerfully efficient and effective learning process. I kick myself that I didn’t find SSi earlier,

Justin,

1 Like

Just don’t kick too hard. It hurts, remember? :slight_smile:

Yes - that is exactly what I need! taps foot impatiently

:wink:

2 Likes

If you create SSiGerman or SSiItalian you’ll have one more “test object” to go with. My German is prety rusted and Italian even more so, here we go - voluntearing. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes and Eirwen’s Italian needs an accelerated kick, @Stella has mentioned her French needs a boost and my German needs a boost too - so there we are we appear to have a “gaggle” of volunteers,

Justin

3 Likes

I was talking to a Welsh guy yesterday and we were comparing Welsh and Siciliano (I think they sound rather similar), and I understood that I really really want a SSiSiciliano:) Languages that look good on the CV, like French, don’t work for me, I love only rare things.

2 Likes

Yah … I’ve started French and finished it after the 1st or 2nd lesson, I don’t even remember that well anymore.

And that’s exactly why we’ve built the SSiBorg… :sunny:

3 Likes

I will be waiting:) I can understand Siciliano and Napoletano ok, but I can imagine my stepfather’s happy eyes (he’s from Sicily) if I manage one day to say a sentence in one of the dialects:)

3 Likes