Just starting to learn Welsh and help! my brain hurts!

For ages I’d say dweud when I was meant to say siarad. There were others too, I think eisiau and hoffi.

3 Likes

I still do!

2 Likes

I thought it was me! You’ve made it further than I have. I’m starting to slow down on Challenge 7. I generally try and do my learning to and from work and the extra complexity combined with driving has really slowed my pace.
Rhaid i mi ymarfer myw!

1 Like

I’m near the end of Course 3, so farther along than you at this point, but yup, still happens,
and I wake up with random Welsh song lyrics in my head, too!

Everyone is different - I know lots of people have done the whole course while driving/commuting, but I have a hard time doing a lesson for the first time while driving. I generally sit and do a lesson when I can really focus, and I use driving time to review old lessons when I feel the need/desire.

Welcome to the forum, @Cally and @SiH! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you look under the heading of meetings and groups you’ll see Kent at lease twice and South East England. I didn’t get all the way, so tried typing Surrey after hitting the big Q to search. Try it, at least one inSurrey!

2 Likes

Many thanks Anna, enjoying being here! :grinning:

2 Likes

Like you and @Pete2, I had the dweud/siarad problem, but for some unknown reason, for ages I mixed up ymarfer and gwella!! OK, you have to do the first for the second to come to pass, but…??? :blush:
Oh, @SiH Croeso (welcome) to the Forum!!

2 Likes

I used to do that too :wink:

They’re all very linked aren’t they? (I wonder, is there method to Aran and Iestyn’s madness?! :wink:)

You may be surprised at how big the group is that meet in the Brighton area, if you can make it you feel the benefit.

Cheers J.P.

1 Like

Cheers rambling John :smiley: May be a bit of a romp from where I am in Surrey but thanks for the offer. Still only at challenge three, but can only get better…

1 Like

I’m sure when @markwatkinprice sees this he will offer contact details for the group.

Cheers J.P.

Hi from cold, wet Vancouver,

A while back you wrote: ‘…Done challenge 2 just now - as predicted by Aran, it’s harder just remembering the longer English sentences than some of the newer welsh words!..’

The famous guitar player, Segovia, once said that when he was practicing certain pieces, one phrase would eventually be OK, and then the next phrase, but putting the two together felt mpossible.

Many of us find that it is hard to string two thoughts together as we tackle longer sentences. It is as if we can do each part separately, but freeze somewhere midway. However, as someone else has suggested, once you reach Lesson 5, (and maybe every 5 lessons), if you then go back for a bit of a review, (over the last 10 minutes of earlier lessons), you will probably discover bits will just come ‘naturally’, so that leaves your free to tack more onto them.

I have learned to trust the way SSiW is organized–reviews and plenty of practice are built in–honest. Glad you have joined us here.

All the best,
Marilyn

2 Likes

Hylo Pawb
Thank you Rambling John for the alert, and Croeso to Cally and all the other starters here. I’ve been at it for about 5 years and still feel like a starter, but one day…
Dal ati, as they say : Keep at it.

For those interested, Cacen (Cylch Alltyd Cymareg yn Ne Lloegr - yes, it’s stretching the point!) is a group who meet monthly in the Sussex/Surrey/Hampshire area, meeting at each other’s homes to spread the travel fairly. We also have a meetup on Monday evenings for those who can make it, although that’s a more local group to Brighton, but all nevertheless welcome.

We are a complete mixture from one or two first language returners to complete novices who have been on Lesson 1 for two years. It’s all about hwyl.

If you’d like to come along, please send me a private message for locations and/or keep an eye on the CACEN (use the forum search facility) forthcoming dates.

Edrych ymlaen at eich cwrdd â chi

1 Like

Diolch! I kept meaning to alert @Cally to your group and forgetting!