In the Deep End - looking for Welsh-only Skype practice

So recently I’ve been having this nagging thought stuck in my head, and it goes something like this: “If only I could get some Welsh immersion. If only I could get some Welsh immersion. If only I could get some Welsh immersion.” And so instead of feeling grumpy about it and about how far Australia is from Wales, I’ve decided to come on here and see if there’s anyone around who would be willing to try some strictly Welsh-only conversation with me over Skype.

I’ve been doing SSIW for what must be years now, from the old courses up to the new and exciting level 3 :heart_eyes:, and I’ve gone through a couple of grammar books (“intermediate” level, whatever exactly that means), and I listen to music and the radio, and I tweet and make blog posts – mostly about trees – in Welsh, and I’ve been starting to get into reading to fill out my vocab (Y Tywysog Bach at the moment :slight_smile:) but the big gaping hole in that equation, obviously, is actual real live conversation.

I really want to get better, and I want to challenge myself, and I may not be totally sure but I am fairly confident I’d be able to get by without English if I had to in a conversation. Short of actually visiting Wales (hopefully next year, but that’s another story), this is the best way I can think of to find that out!

So if there’s anyone out there who either knows or suspects (or hopes!) that Welsh is the only language they’d need to carry on a casual chat with a complete stranger, please do let me know!

6 Likes

I’m about to PM you my skype name. I’m in China at the moment so you need to work out the time difference. I’m available today for another 75 minutes.

2 Likes

Wedi mwynhau. Eto yn fuan.

2 Likes

After what we were talking about on Saturday, the National Eisteddfod dates in Cardiff, 2018, are 3-11 August. I hope you can make it Alex.

1 Like

Thanks Margaret! That would make it a long, long trip – but I’m sure it would be an amazing time if I could make it work!

1 Like

I’ll be back in the UK by then. I’m sure we could find you a bed for a few nights during your stay, you and your friend. Not that we are particularly near Cardiff but we are in quite a Welsh area.

1 Like

I have a spare bed, my girlfriend and I are Welsh speaking (she is first language and I’ve used SSiW). We’d be very happy to have a learner with us, so feel free to message me :slight_smile:

1 Like

That might be fun! I am still only a beginner, but it might be good to throw myself into the deep end a little bit and have a conversation containing no English. I would like to try to break free from falling back to English, because it is too easy to do.

2 Likes

Are you still looking for Skype partners @alex_1? Or have you got something regular set up now?

1 Like

I’m definitely still up for doing this! I had a couple of good conversations at around the time of the original post, but nothing regular came out of it. I’ve actually just booked flights for my UK holiday next year, so if ever I was going to really get comfortable in Welsh conversation, the next nine months or so would be a great time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Let’s get a mention in the weekly email for you then and see if we can get you a bit more practice.

When are you actually coming to Wales? Make sure you post when you know your itinerary. There are always SSiWers here willing to meet up and spend a little time with visitors.

2 Likes

Alex. Our Aussie Skype sessions are in abeyance. But I had someone else enquire today so i’m going to try and start up again in December. PM me your email address and I’ll keep you posted.

2 Likes

@alex_1, if it would be helpful for you to have someone to chat with, I’m supposed to be having a conversation with someone for the final challenge of my Bobsled run. I’m reluctant to ask any of the local Welsh speakers I know because it feels like imposing (they have busy lives), but if you’re looking for opportunities to practice, I’m happy to give it a go. Just PM me with your Skype address and we can see if we can fix up a suitable time.

1 Like

We have scheduled the next Aussie Skype chat for 2/12/2017. My Skype name is: Liz Corbett, or you can find me at lizziejane2001

Let me know if you have any trouble.

2 Likes

Hi Alex,
just saw the email saying you’re looking for Skype partners, I’m keen if you’re still interested. Send me a message (and that goes for anyone else who’s looking too!)

Daisy

1 Like

Thanks for the chat, Alex. I hope it was a useful for you as it was for me. Aran is right when he says that one-to-one conversations reveal the gaps in one’s vocabulary! Hope we can fix a date time for another chat. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Definitely :slight_smile:

1 Like