In a long thread, how find only new posts?

That was my default behaviour, every time. :slight_smile:

Yup. Same here.

Oh, how did you do that? First time Iā€™ve seen a ā€˜quoteā€™. Doesnā€™t say whose quote, though. I can see that some of my questions have been answered on this site, but thereā€™s no way to find them without reading through everything. It would have been nice to have one thread for all the ā€˜questions about navigating the new site and how it compares with the old forumā€™.

Oh, how did you do that?

Just copy the phrase you want and put a greater than symbol (>) in front of it. I suppose we could start a convention of including the original posterā€™s name:

Arianrhod : Oh, how did you do that?

I wonder if double indents work?

Me : I wonder if double indents work?

Apparently they do.

Sounds as though I should have read Arianrhodā€™s Absolute Beginners Guide to the Forum!..:slight_smile:

Iā€™ve just had a chat with Ifan about this - I think the best solution is to replicate the behaviour of phpBB on this, with a little red dot to the left of ā€˜Latest postā€™ on the left-hand previews - but weā€™ve got a slight hitch with that, because at the moment the entire pane is functioning as a link. Ifanā€™s had a go at getting other links in there, and itā€™s been a headache - but when time permits, weā€™re going to revisit that and see if we can find a solution, perhaps removing the whole pane link and making it all text-based.

The most annoying thing? I hate scrolling elements inside webpage. Itā€™s the page that supposed to be scrolling, not any element inside it.

This actually looks a bit better on my mobile, but the back button doesnā€™t work correctly, and I hate pages that break the back buttonā€¦ =)

If you can think of a way to have a two column approach that doesnā€™t involve some scrolling, Iā€™d be all ears - we tried to think of as many approaches as possible, and this was the only one that worked.

If you feel like sharing what the behaviour is with the back button, and what the mobile is, Iā€™ll be happy to put it on the ā€˜try to fix itā€™ list.

Just copy the phrase you want and put a greater than symbol (>) in front of it. I suppose we could start a convention of including the original posterā€™s name:

I think Iā€™m doing something wrong, here.
[edit: something worked - do you actually have to type in the name of the quotee?]

Arianrhod: do you actually have to type in the name of the quotee?

Yes, thatā€™s right.

Stu

Thanks, both.

Hello! Just trying to post on the new site. Letting myself settle in so that the ā€œitā€™s changed! I donā€™t like it!ā€ business wears off.

First of all, thank you to everyone involved in making learning Welsh more accessible, which is the main thing. Kinetic, Aran et al, Diolch yn fawr iawn.

Anyhow, as Iā€™m on the site, shall just ask a couple of questions.

Aran said ā€œIf you can think of a way to have a two column approach that doesnā€™t involve some scrolling, Iā€™d be all earsā€

Why is there a two column approach? Genuine question, rather than ā€œI donā€™t want there to be one!ā€ If you see what I mean. Obviously something you have decided for good reasons.

But (as in the following are just my thoughts on the matter!) the two column approach firstly restricts the number of threads visible at first sight, along with cutting short the thread titles, whilst the restriction of posts to half the screen encourages shorter posts.

Shorter posts relating to more recent threads is I think why I thought ā€œOh, twittery!ā€ on seeing this site first.

The whole thing encourages short answers to recent threads, if you see what
I mean.

Which may well be a good thing!

Long, pointless and meandering unnecessary answers to old threads are not necessarily a good thing! Already conscious this post seems too long for this site, if you see what I mean.

Anyhow, as I say, letting myself get used to the site. It gives the ā€œrecent postsā€ thing, which is what I used most, and icons, different fonts, saving texts, preview, allowing to post pictures and videos (for things like rambling johnā€™s ā€œwhatā€™s outsideā€, which is a wonderful thread) are on the horizon. Which is great.

So will just ask any reason why the forum is closed to people who havenā€™t registered? I know when I look on sites, I potter about a bit and see if it is worth signing up- is a bit of free advertising bring lost in not allowing people who haveā€™nt seen the forum? Just a thought.

Anyhow, site working great for me, kudos to Kinetic, well done!
Just think the nostalgia aspect may be working on me, so may end up loving this new site!

Diane Owen posted about 16 hours ago
ā€œAran: Yes, you always had an option on old forum to go to the first new message, which is what Susanna means, I think (i.e., the first message that you have not yet read in a thread). You clicked on the little red dot on a thread, and it took you right there. Sheā€™s saying the same thing I am.ā€

I had no idea this ever existed! I always went to the number page top right and scrolled! :open_mouth:

Great post, Ow, diolch yn fawr.

Two columns - we went in the direction of one column, trying to do stuff inline (looking for faster, easier ways to be getting through everything) - and it had all sorts of extra complications, which two columns solved. The alternative would have been to go back to paging it (as phpBB does) which felt to me as though it would have been a lost opportunity - as we fine tune this, and work on our overall server speed, we should be able to get a much faster, easier forum experience.

The width of posts is actually very close to the width on phpBB - it was one of the things we were most concerned about - so I think that once people get used to the two columns, weā€™ll see as many long posts here as we did there. Shout at me in a couple of months if Iā€™m wrong, because Iā€™m a fan of long postsā€¦:slight_smile:

Forum showing in public - this is a continual ā€˜hmmmmmā€™ for us - youā€™re absolutely right that itā€™s extra visibility for people considering signing up, and itā€™s also valuable search material - but against that, some forum users presume that their comments are not ā€˜publicā€™ on the internet - which is a bit of a misconception in any case, but for the time being weā€™re riding with putting existing users first and seeing how well we can do without the search/pitch bonusesā€¦:slight_smile:

Is it possible for the width of the two columns to be in the userā€™s control, or is that impossible/way hard? As an alternative, is it possible for the left-hand list to be smart enough to know to wrap the text of the title so the whole thread title is visible, either all the time or only in response to a search?

Iā€™m asking because I think itā€™s going to be hard to find a thread or to sort through a long list of search results to find the post you want from the very abbreviated titles that are visible on my laptop (Chrome) and my iPad. In contrast, the implementation on iPhone works better because it shows you more, especially when itā€™s held horizontally. (No idea why itā€™s showing more than the iPad!)

For example, the titles Iā€™m seeing at the moment:

• Tresaith Bootcamp - April 20ā€¦ (Chrome on laptop)

• Tresaith Bootcaā€¦ (iPad held vertically)

• Tresaith Bootcamp - April 2ā€¦ (iPad held horizontally)

• Tresaith Bootcamp - April 20ā€¦ (iPhone held vertically)

• Tresaith Bootcamp - April 2014 - Introductions (iPhone held horizontally)

• Any one interested in startā€¦ (Chrome on laptop)

• Any one intereā€¦ (iPad held vertically)

• Any one interested in starā€¦ (iPad held vertically)

• Any one interested in startiā€¦ (iPhone held vertically)

• Any one interested in starting a group in the Pontycā€¦ (iPhone horizontally)

Variable column widths is a bit of a can of worms, but we can put it on the ā€˜think about itā€™ list. Thanks for those device details - we definitely need to look at them - I thought we had a kind of layer thing going on with mobile (ie left hand to start, move into thread, move back to left hand) - but those are a bit aggressively truncated, so hopefully we can figure out something with it.

The thread titles on the thread list are forbidden from wrapping - the consequence being, itā€™s truncated to one lineā€™s width minus the length of the username. (On the mobile version, the thread list takes up the full width of the display, but the display is narrower, so it doesnā€™t make much difference :))

If it wrapped, weā€™d end up with all the boxes on the left being different sizes depending on how many linesā€™ worth of wrap they have, and the logic for the ā€˜scroll a whole page of boxesā€™ buttons would suddenly get a whole lot more complicatedā€¦

Can you have a tool-tip with the full title pop up on hover? It wouldnā€™t help on mobile but would still be useful.

The two columns work well for me on my Samsung phone, in that I see them separately: I see the list of threads, tap on the one Iā€™m interested in and see the list of posts. I can zoom in and out to make the font size more legible.

On my Samsung tablet it doesnā€™t work like this though. The two columns are side by side and when I zoom in to make the font larger, the two columns merge over one another, and itā€™s even more confusing if Iā€™m trying to type a reply (this is my second attempt as I lost the last one I tried on the tablet- put my finger onto another thread by accident!). Any advice?

That sounds as though weā€™d be well advised to try and get the tablets working the same way as the phones, so thanks very much for that, Helen!

Yep, it works poorly on tablets right now Iā€™m afraid. Sorting that out is one of the things on the List.

(Remember me mentioning something about the DC on iPad, Aran? Well, this is that. :))