Ideas for hobbies

Haha, don’t worry! I do that alllll the time! I’m in Cardiff so plenty of options in that way. I’m having singing lessons at the moment. I would like to join a choir but want a bit more confidence in my singing before I then take the leap to join a choir. Good idea though! Keep them coming :smile:

1 Like

I suspect St Fagans relies a lot on volunteers and I always hear a lot of Welsh when I go there. @steve_2 would know, if his circumstances are still the same.

3 Likes

Yup. Volunteering is us. You can find all our current opportunities listed here:

https://museum.wales/takepart/about/

3 Likes

@ali and I used to go regularly but I haven’t managed it over the past year, and Ali is often busy with grandchildren these days. We were talking about it in Caernarfon though and saying we must get back into it. We really enjoyed the walks and great learning more about the areas we went to.

1 Like

I’d love to coordinate if you do manage it

Just stating the obvious really, but I’m sure that if you’ve taken the leap of having singing lessons you’d be welcomed into a good choir at any stage! Years ago, when I first came to Wales, I was cheeky enough to join Cordydd (a fantastic choir who I presume still rehearse in Canton) for a few months. I just asked them if I could join, as they sounded so good when I was walking past! They said yes and were incredibly friendly and welcoming, even though I practically didn’t speak any Welsh at all. (I optimistically thought that might be enough to help me pick up the language, combined with a teach-yourself book. Sadly it wasn’t - so I bailed out gracefully after the concert, then went on to get pregnant…)

Point is, I did notice what an amazing time they had together - off to concerts and competitions, singing at rugby matches and always in the Mochyn Du after rehearsals! Could be an absolutely brilliant way to kick-start your Welsh social life.

4 Likes

Oh chwarae teg! I think I may give Cordydd a bit more time (they are very good…I am not). I think I’m going to join Bachgen Bro Taf. I know one of them (he’s also in Cordydd). Maybe I should just pull the plaster off…

1 Like

I know someone who sings with Cordydd and she really seems to enjoy it. They went to North America not too long ago!

2 Likes

Go for it - you’ll have a whale of a time!

(And yes, I do think ‘gulp’ at how cheeky I was now! But for someone with your standard of Welsh, who is also having singing lessons, it would be perfect!)

1 Like

I’ve just emailed to find out if it’s ok to join in a couple of the walks next month. They usually say that visitors are welcome to go along a couple of times, but if you plan to keep going they like you to pay the annual membership - £15. I let mine lapse, and the next financial year starts at the beginning of July, so not much point paying now for 2016/17. I’ll see what they say.

There are walks coming up in the Preselis and near Llambed, which would be good ones from here. I’ll keep you posted.

2 Likes

I heard back from Eirion at CELl and he’s happy with that. I’ll probably do the walks on the 3rd and 10th of June.

I’m working those two weekend :frowning: two in a row too.

I will definitely look into walks from July onwards. I’m sure £15 won’t break the bank

Have you joined the Menter Caerdydd mailing list? (See their website http://www.mentercaerdydd.org and have a poke around - I can’t remember where I signed up but I must have somewhere on there). I regularly get emails from them about things I’m not interested in :wink: but you might be?

And you’ve reminded me that I’ve been meaning to volunteer to help out at Tafwyl in July…

2 Likes

Oh, and another thought - is sport your thing? I know that that Iechyd Da gym on the Cowbridge Road is a Welsh-speaking place. Either they might have something that suits you or might know of (e.g.) a 5-a-side team or a rugby group (or whatever takes your fancy) that goes on in Welsh?

2 Likes

I’m lucky in that I live in Mid-Wales, but usually you can find Welsh speakers in most places, you just have to figure out who speaks Welsh. :slight_smile: I’ve got bees and quite a few of the local beekeepers are Welsh speaking (although many are not).

2 Likes

I am, and a bit like you, the majority doesnt quite fit. Plus loads is aimed at kids.

Iechyd da is a good idea. I am a member of another gym at the moment but some of their classes could be good.

Tafwyl is a good shout! I don’t think I’m working either

Thanks for the suggestions!

2 Likes