Iaith ar Daith Series 2 - Discussion/Questions/Feedback

The fact is that if you watch any programme with Welsh subtitles you notice that they very very often “correct” what people say. Not only learners. Perfectly fluent and first language speakers as well!

So, it is always funny, of course but also make you realize there’s no need to worry so much about mistakes, cause everybody does them. :wink:

4 Likes

I just watched the last episode of the series. I’m a bit sad it’s come to an end, and I’m also sad that the first episode has already gone from iPlayer! I wanted to watch it again and compare, because I’d just started learning five weeks ago.

I thought it was interesting how reluctant Joanna Scanlon was to speak in Welsh at the beginning and how much she improved in confidence during just four days. It was a good programme for showing how you can speak a bit of English with your Welsh while you’re learning and it doesn’t matter one bit! In fact, it probably helps, because it takes away the fear of not being able to be understood.

Nice that @aran got an oblique mention, too! “Gwych - that’s what my Welsh teacher says whenever I get anything right.” Yay for Aran’s constant encouragement!

4 Likes

I’ve just watched the Joanna episode.

They have all been excellent (Although I found Maggi overbearing in last weeks programme).

Joanna tried so hard and made such good progress over the 4 days. Thoroughly inspiring.
I hope that all the programmes will be available to rewatch as they are so good for us learners

They are all available on S4C clic (via computer website not TV) and will be available for a few months, it says. So plenty of time to watch and rewatch them!

Of all the people in the series the only one I knew is Maggi Noggi (and I always find her hilarious, I must say).
But it was great to discover they were all interesting, nice and brave challenging themselves in so many ways - not only with speaking the language!

I found odd and funny myself Kiri’s father grumpy reaction on the phone. :smile:
But after all, it might be a bit of instant karma cause Kiri didn’t speak so well about his accent! (And by the way I totally disagree, cause Ceredigion accent is my favourite and one of the easiest no doubt!) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Well, the Iaith ar Daith 2021 series has now come to an end. But fear not, to catch up with all episodes, click on the following links -

• Steve Backshall – The adventurer and presenter of nature programmes including Deadly 60 and Blue Planet Live . He is also a guest lecturer at University of Wales, Bangor.

See Steve’s episode here - https://www.s4c.cymru/clic/programme/814794857

• Rakie Ayola – An actor and producer who has worked in film, television and theatre, including Shakespearean theatrical performances, playing the role of Kyla Tyson in Holby City, roles in Silent Witness and Shetland .

See Rakie’s episode here - https://www.s4c.cymru/clic/programme/814794883

• James Hook – Former Wales international rugby player. He won 81 caps for Wales and is Wales’ fourth highest all-time points scorer.

See James ’ episode here - https://www.s4c.cymru/clic/programme/814794909

• Chris Coleman – A Welsh professional football coach and former player. He is the former manager of the Wales international football team who led Wales to UEFA Euro 2016, their first major tournament since the 1958 FIFA World Cup, where they made the semi-finals.

See Chris’ episode here - https://www.s4c.cymru/clic/programme/814794935

• Kiri Pritchard McLean – Comedian and writer who has won several awards for her work and is a familiar face on panel shows including Have I Got News for You and 8 Out of 10 Cats Does Countdown .

See Kiri’s episode here - https://www.s4c.cymru/clic/programme/814794961

• Joanna Scanlan – Joanna is a familiar face thanks to roles in a number of popular television series and films including The Thick of It, No Offence, Bridget Jones’s Baby and Notes on a Scandal , along with Welsh series, Stella and The Accident .

See Joanna’s episode here - https://www.s4c.cymru/clic/programme/814794987

If you enjoyed the series and also use Twitter, we would greatly appreciate it if you would share your views on the series using the following hashtags -

#IaitharDaith
#SSiW
#SaySomethinginWelsh
#DysguCymraeg

Please keep your feedback and responses coming! We greatly appreciate them! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I watched Kiri’s episode on Sunday, liked it and will now pick up some of the others. It is a terrific idea to show Wales and the language together.

1 Like

The problem should now be corrected. I contacted S4C about it (I live in Belgium and was getting the same error code); they got back to me pretty quickly and I am now able to watch all of the programmes.

2 Likes

Very good, enjoyable series. A good demonstration of what can be achieved in language-learning, given immersion and the will to learn. I think I’d like to see more of the actual learning effort, at the same time not wishing to lose the current content. The only thing that nags me somewhat is the commentator, who I find rather intrusive.

I look forward to the next series!

I agree about the commentary…a bit annoying…

I loved the whole series, and was super impressed with all of the celebrities for really putting themselves in such a vulnerable situation, I’m sure it was tough, but they all looked like they had a great time. I especially loved Joanna’s journey, she was amazing, and you could see what it meant to her. I truly hope that they continue with their Welsh language journeys, and that their efforts inspire others to start theirs.

4 Likes

I loved every minute from beginning to end. It’s wonderful to be party to someone else’s journey especially so because we have the very close SsiW connection.
I commend each and every participant and I hope they all continue with their learning and get as much from it as I have.
I even enjoy Alex’s commentary. The humour she injects is true south walian.
I wish it was a permanent fixture on our screens.

6 Likes

Fantastic series- really enjoyed the celebs efforts and the speaker’s helping them.
I thought the conversation about not being able to get your personality across as you would like to in another language was really interesting this week as that can also be a reason why even quite fluent learners stop trying to have conversations with native speakers.
Hope they celebs keep learning and the series is carried on next season with a Hollywood version :innocent: - how about asking Matthew Rhys to mentor Tom Ellis :heart_eyes: or Michael Sheen to mentor Taron Egerton :star_struck: - ;
Bryn Terfel to mentor Owen Teale
Just saying :smile: - the list is long at the moment for Welsh celebs.

2 Likes

Yes I thought also Nigel didn 't make things easy for poor James at times - he was nice but a bit strict !! but the
mentor’s were all amazing

Before I forget, and while looking forward to next series, a couple of extra notes:

• it would be very interesting to have a follow up episode from time to time to see how they are doing (quite like the Nadolig one for the previous series, and hopefully with one more peculiar jumper of Aran’s :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:).

Because after the jump start, everyone has to face their own challenges in their language learning journey. And seeing how they manage with them - sometimes also failing for some time because other things in life get in the way or ups and downs in motivation- can be interesting cause every learner can relate to them too.

I enjoyed learning more about places and tradition, although for my personal preference, I hope in next series there’s (even more) music-related challenges and visits or learners/mentors.

I actually really enjoy the commentary, so if as @aliC says that’s truly south Walian humour, I must be naturally quite in tune with that.

Oh and let me just say this: lucky them, every single place where they stayed for the night was amazing!

5 Likes

Oh yes, I totally play ‘SSI Bingo’ and spot all the phrases they’re using that have been drummed into us too :smile:

8 Likes

Hi David, thanks, yes, I have it mostly working now, as long as I clear my browser history it seems to work fine. No Pobol y Cym, though, is that restricted?

Are you perhaps the Dave Neale I went to uni with? Fay Abernethy dw 'i. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, I agree! It would be great to catch up with them all in the future to see how they’ve progressed. :slight_smile: I’m so impressed with their beginnings, where will it take them? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You mean this jumper…? :wink:

10 Likes

Exactly! And I didn’t know you had a matching one too! :rofl:

1 Like

Pobol Y Cwm does not appear in the list of programmes for Worldwide audiences. That’s the list you should be looking at if you’re outside the UK. It can be found by clicking on Categories at the top of the page and then on Worldwide (my apologies if you know all this, but it might be handy for others, too). You can also go straight to the worldwide page with https://www.s4c.cymru/clic/Categories/99

Sorry, but the David Neale you knew at uni is not me.

2 Likes