'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I want to be a welsh speaker because I am Welsh (born and bred) but I dont necessarily feel Welsh when I am unable to participate in the Welsh Language.

6 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker so I can join in with conversations with my friends in their primary language. I feel itā€™s a necessary step to help me fully identify with my country and culture.

6 Likes

I now visit West Wales regularly and I want to be able to speak to the locals whose first language is Welsh. I understand Welsh having been learning for many years but I am still reluctant to speak it. This course is helping me speed up my responses and giving me a stock of spoken language.

4 Likes

About 20 years ago I discovered contemporary Finnish folk music, loved how the language sounded (spoiler: it sounds very musical) and made a brief effort to try to learn the language. There just arenā€™t many resources for learning Finnish, so that didnā€™t last long, and then my kids started being born, and that was that. A little over 10 years ago, I started hearing Welsh-language music, some really weird, wonderful stuff, and the music-language symbiosis struck again. At some point I discovered SSiW and got as far as subscribing to the weekly newsletters, but didnā€™t start any formal learning untilā€¦

March 2019, I drove four hours from my home to Chicago to see one of my favorite bands ever, Teenage Fanclub, a show (gig) I was especially excited about because of their newest member, the legendary Euros Childs. Euros is ā€œperhaps best known as the frontman for the band Gorkyā€™s Zygotic Mynciā€, according to Wikipedia. I was lucky to have a couple pints of fine craft lager with Euros after the show, and at one point I started asking him about growing up speaking Welsh and something possessed me to mention SSiW. He turned to me and said, ā€œI can teach you to say something in Welsh!ā€ Yes, please! He taught me ā€œFy enw i yw Jim.ā€ He tried to get me to repeat it for his bandmates and I just couldnā€™t get it right. I drank only two pints with him, but they were my 6th and 7th of the evening, so short term memory wasnā€™t sharp. But after I sobered up and spent a couple days with friends, I got on the internet and looked around for some Welsh resources so that the next time I crossed paths with Euros, I could speak a little more.

Now to the point: I want to be a Welsh speaker because I love the music, Welsh people seem really chill, the country is beautiful, it looks great for cycling, Iā€™ve been meeting Welsh friends online, and I might have some Welsh ancestry (a family legend without any evidence), but most of all, I want to speak Welsh so I can blow Eurosā€™ mind.

6 Likes

When I was a student, I worked in a holiday park called Green Acres at Black Rock Sands near Porthmadog.

A lot of the guests stood at the bar, talking in Welsh. In the town, I could hear a lot of Welsh and certainly on the bus.

As a language student of French and German, I really wanted to know what everyone was saying .Itā€™s frustrating to me not to be able to understand people.

Also, I liked The Alarm and listened to some of their songs in Welsh. i prefered the Welsh versions and thought the language sounded really good.

I had learnt a bit of Irish Gaelic at Uni for fun at an evening class. Iā€™ve always been intrigued by the other languages of the British Isles.

So here I am 30 years later, starting to finally learn Welsh. Why the wait? Well, life happened - teaching career, marriage, kids, being widowed, single parent, marriage, working part time and finally having the time to do it.

The kids think Iā€™m bonkers as they tell me everyone in Wales speaks English. However, this is my Xbox or Play Station. Itā€™s a challenge.

Although, there probably arenā€™t any mono Welsh speakers anymore, apart from some kids under 5, I think itā€™s really important to keep this amazing language alive and to preserve the culture for future generations.

I still go to Porthmadog once a year with my daughter. Welsh is spoken in the bar at the hotel. Last time I was there (February), I promised myself I would definitely learn it. I started on Duo Lingo and then found the SSIW site. It is a really interesting method for language learning. I have trialled it in German with my Year 7 class during their Remote Learning. They have produced some fantastic work.

On a stranger note, I got done for speeding just before last Christmas going to Chester. The Sat Nav took me over the Welsh border onto a road I was unfamiliar with. I thought it was a dual carriage way and the speed limit was 70. It turned out to be 60. Ooops!

I was sent the details of my offence in English and in Welsh. At the time, I thought why are they bothering sending me the Welsh bit cos I canā€™t read it?

I probably can read some of it now lol!

5 Likes

I want to speak welsh because I live in Wales and want to feel I am fully embracing the culture (after all, if I emigrated to France, I would learn French). I am also a priest in the Church in Wales and am determined to be able to carry out services fully in Welsh when required.

3 Likes

I have enjoyed feeling connected to something bigger than myself. My fiance is Welsh and as our wedding has been postponed to 2021, I would like to use the time to learn some Welsh and be part of a beautiful culture.

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it is my Partnerā€™s first language. I donā€™t want to have to be the one that everyone translates for. I have no other connection to Wales and would never probably have known how big a community of Welsh speakers there is, if we hadnā€™t met. But I am not only loving learning, I feel a really weird and inexplicable sense of familiarity with the language, somehow. I canā€™t describe it any better than that, and I canā€™t understand why I feel that way, but I do.

6 Likes

What a great idea @louis! I love your wordcloud.

1 Like

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to be able to have proper chats with my friends (and Iā€™m already on the way, which feels wonderful!)

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker so I can converse using our native language with my Grandchildren,who are in Welsh schools.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because ā€¦ I want Welsh to live on in my family.

I hope to be able to sit down and have a nice chat, in Welsh, with my mother over a cup of tea one day.

7 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker because I love the language & have always hated that I couldnā€™t speak it. I canā€™t wait to chat with my friends or earwig conversations & understand them!

5 Likes

because my grandchildren go to a Welsh school and i want to converse with them and because I want to speak to people in Aberdaron when am on holiday.

6 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker because my dads family are first language welsh speakers and my little niece will also be raised speaking welsh and i donā€™t want to miss out on the opportunity to speak with them in their native language. Iā€™d love to be able to join in when my welsh family have their crazy wonderful sing-a-longs to welsh folk songs such as counting red and blue goats! Also, given i passionately support welsh rugby, it would be great to be able to sing (and understand!) the welsh national anthem. Wales really is land of the song!

6 Likes

Welsh was my first language but I stopped speaking it when I was 8. I want to salvage what little language I remember and become a Welsh speaker again

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I am very proud to be Welsh, and want to do my bit to preserve our lovely language. And if I can make some new friends learning Welsh along the way, even better!

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to be able to speak to others in Welsh, and I enjoy learning languages.

5 Likes

My fiancĆ© is first language Welsh and when he starts speaking it to friends or on the phone I am mesmerised by it (plus Iā€™m nosey and would like to know what heā€™s saying!) and Iā€™d love to be able to watch Welsh language dramas without having the subtitles on.

5 Likes

I come from Wales and can speak three other languages but not Welsh!

5 Likes