'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I can speak to my children in welsh and learn all their secrets!

3 Likes

ā€¦ because I now live in Wales and want to communicate better with my Welsh speaking friends and family, and with people in my local community.

3 Likes

My wife and I both started learning from scratch with SSIW a few years back and she got on much better than me. Weā€™ve been watching ā€˜Pobol Y Cwmā€™ ever since, and whilst she copes pretty well without subtitles, I need them, so to be able to watch and understand without would be a minor triumph. Whilst neither of us have any Welsh family connections, we come for holidays, at least once a year as we love the country, particularly Anglesey. I really look forward to actually being able to carry out normal conversations in Welsh in shops and pubs, without feeling a complete pillock!

4 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker because my boyfriend is first language welsh. I know how much it would mean to him if I could talk to him and his family in Welsh, also it will be useful raising our future children who will speak both languages :slight_smile:

4 Likes

ā€¦I live in Wales! I should be speaking the language of my nation. I will be able to speak to everyone I meetā€¦and understand them - at my daughterā€™s school, concerts, the Eisteddfod.

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my much adored aunt Gwen; who lived with us when I grew up; always felt a sense of regret that she was part of a generation who were discouraged from learning Welsh. I am doing this for her. I hope to be able to do her proud and visit her grave one day and say a few thoughts in Welsh for her at last.

5 Likes

When I was 11, the childrenā€™s choir I sang with was part of a Welsh concert with a number of other choirs and performers. We sang a verse of All Through the Night in Welsh, and it was around this time I found out my great great grandmother was Welsh. I decided then that one day I would learn the language, and finally, here I am.

3 Likes

I have just gone back over previous weeks and realised I had missed this step!

I want to speak Welsh as I love hearing my colleagues speak to each other in Welsh in the office. It is such a beautiful language and I would love to be able to join in! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker so that when I visit family in Wales I can surprise them and speak welsh with them!

4 Likes

Because I moved to North Wales earlier this year & want to appreciate the language. Also some of my parishioners are Welsh speakers, and prior to lockdown we held a monthly bi-lingual service. Iā€™d love to be able to surprise them by saying a few words in Welsh when we return :blush: in

5 Likes

ā€¦that sounds like it could fun :smile:

Rich :slight_smile:

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to talk to my Welsh friends in their own language. If I can become a Welsh speaker then I will feel truly Welsh

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it will help with playing jazz trumpet

Dw iā€™n moyn i siarad Cymraeg achos bydd helpu gyda canu trwmped jazz

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I work for the ambulance service and being based in Gwynedd, I quickly found the majority of people are first language Welsh - Iā€™d love to be able to communicate with my colleagues and patients in their first language.

2 Likes

Iā€™m really excited now, @nigel-doyle - you mean that when Iā€™m fluent in Welsh, Iā€™ll also be able to play the trumpet?

1 Like

only if you have a Welsh first language jazz trumpet tutor and you understand II-V-I progressions and tri-tone substitutions!

1 Like

Because I want to embrace my heritage and be able to chat to my friends in welsh, as well as customers when Iā€™m at work :star2:

3 Likes

I want to be able to speak Welsh in the home with my wife! I moved from Bristol to Cardiff last November when I got married to Sara, and while she usually speaks English with most friends and in work, she was brought up in Newtown going to Welsh school, so does still speak Welsh with some of her friends! I love the idea of developing that new way of connecting with Sara, and getting to feel more ā€˜at homeā€™ in my new country!!

3 Likes
  1. I want to be a Welsh speaker because I donā€™t believe I can and I want to prove myself wrong.
  2. I hope I can one day watch Hidden in Welsh and understand some of it.
4 Likes

ā€¦ I want to converse in Welsh with my Welsh speaking friends and because, after living in Wales for 50 years, itā€™s about bloody time I did.

4 Likes