'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I want to be a Welsh speaker because minority languages are cool and need protecting and because someone kept showing me Welsh poetry things and made me want to be able to read them… :smile_cat:

14 Likes

Mi ges i fy ngheni yng Nghaerdydd on dw i’n byw rŵan yng Nghymru Gogledd. Dw i isio siarad Cymraeg achos dw i’n Cymraes!

12 Likes

Thanks for that, Pengwen! That was very like my reason… :slight_smile:

One little thing - we usually post in English on the forum, so that even beginners can follow what’s going on - this time, maybe you could just add in a translation? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I wanted to be a Welsh speaker because…err…well…I didn’t really, I’m not Welsh, I don’t live there - I just stumbled upon this brilliant website one day that said ‘learning is really easy, why not try this free lesson?’ and here I am, 6 years and 2 bootcamps later, a Welsh speaker (more or less).

One really great thing that’s happened since is that my mum, who went to a Welsh-speaking school but didn’t learn Welsh and wished she had, has been encouraged to learn too (it is never too late).

24 Likes

I love stories like this :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :star2:

6 Likes

Many years ago my husband and I took a trip to Europe for our 7th anniversary. During that trip we spent two days in North Wales and I fell in love, with the place and the language. I bought a couple of touristy phrase books which only heightened my interest. At the time, there were precious few resources in the middle of the US for learning Welsh, but I kept looking for them. I found Mark Nodine’s online (short, written) course and got some very solid, basic grounding, but kept looking. In the process I became a member of Côr Cymry Gogledd America (the North American Welsh Choir, sadly now gone), with a director who is mamiaith and learned a lot more there. But I still couldn’t converse. My husband and I visited Wales several more times. I became a moderator on the old Forum Wales site (sadly now gone, too), and on that site someone mentioned this wonderful new site for learning Welsh - Say Somthing in Welsh. I was actually a bit skeptical at first, but I kept hearing glowing things about it so after a few months I tried it. And I’ve been here ever since. I’m a bit slow and patchy at my learning but I’m going to take the leap later today and sign up for bootcamp. :anguished: (Wish me luck!)

16 Likes

Pob lwc, @Sionned! :thumbsup:

I’ve written this elsewhere on the forum, somewhere, but…My story is similar to @flora’s - I’m not Welsh, have no connections to Wales, but have had an interest in Wales since childhood. In 2015, I wanted to learn how to pronounce some Welsh names in a book I was reading, found SSiW via Google, decided to try a lesson just to see what it was like, and…2 1/2 years later, I’m still here, still learning, and loving every minute! SSiW is fantastic - I never imagined I could learn to speak Welsh, and would be able to have conversations with people in Wales via Skype. And I never guessed it would be so much fun! :smile:

12 Likes

I do, at least, have Welsh ancestry, though it is very far back - my confirmed ancestor came to “this side of the pond” in 1683.

3 Likes

… achos (oherwydd?) Cymro dw i. (Prosiect ymddeol - gwell hwyr na hwyrach!)

Gobeithio byddaf yn gallu siarad â’m ffrindiau sy’n siarad Cymraeg a dw i moyn helpu’r hen iaith i barhau.

5 Likes

Excellent reasons, Pererin, and a warm welcome to the forum… :slight_smile:

One small point - we usually keep our forum posts to English, so that even our beginners can be a full part of the community - but we encourage you to use your Welsh as much as possible in the ‘Speaking Practice’ section… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you, Aran. Sorry, understood.

For my fellow beginners, it was my attempt to say:

… because I’m a Welshman. (A retirement project - better late than never!)
I hope to be able to speak with my Welsh speaking friends, and I want to help the old language endure.

19 Likes

Prynhawn da, I want to learn Welsh because we moved o Cardiff in the Spring. Seems natural to learn the language and as a fellow Celt (of the Scottish branch) seemed daft not to; and I want to keep my little grey cells alive and kicking! Wish more people spoke it though in Cardiff. Never mind, I’ve also started the Mynediad course. So wish me luck.

11 Likes

Good luck with Mynediad, @MoiraKleissner. I don’t live in Wales, but I have been using a version of Mynediad that some kind person put on Memrise. I think that it has helped me a lot with reading, and I want to do that.[quote=“MoiraKleissner, post:32, topic:10504”]
I want to keep my little grey cells alive and kicking!
[/quote]

Me too!
Sue

6 Likes

Because I speak Cymraeg now, my Cymraes neighbour is amazed at the number of people I’ve met here, on line or wyneb i wyneb, face to face, from all over the world, who are learning her wonderful language.

10 Likes

Oh, they’re there - 40,000 or so of them - once you start to track them down and figure out the networks, lots of stuff will open up to you… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks Aran.
We get a list from our course of pubs etc where groups meet, although most are difficult to get to from Pontprennau by public transport.
Most Wed mornings I go to visit a wee lady in our church to practice. I think we probably spend more time laughing and drinking coffee! But it;s good.
Looking forward to the day at the uni in 3rd Feb. I need more confidence to use the tiny little I have learned.

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I want to take part in the local community or, even better be part of the local community. When I was living in Hertfordshire, a feeling of community was definitely something that was missing.

I come from Birmingham originally and all the time I was living down south (for more than half my life), I thought I would like to return there. I always felt that was where my ‘sense of place’ lay. But now I have found my sense of place in mid-Wales.

16 Likes

I’ve been a Welsh speaker now for about a year really - and it’s opened up something completely new and exciting for me. My life is almost unrecognisable since starting. A new home, new hometown, loads of new friends, a reconnection with a past that I was sort of robbed off by growing up in the place I grew up.

None of which would’ve been possible without stumbling onto SSIW.

20 Likes

I want the language to stay alive and beyond …

12 Likes

@helenlindsay So I’m not the only ex-Brummie out here (Sparkhill)! I have little doubt that we have Welsh in our blood as a result of drinking the water that Brum nicks from the Elan Valley…Best of luck.

8 Likes