'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

Continuing the discussion from 'I want to be a Welsh speaker because…':

kind of a reply to myself , and anyone else who is interested ?
my progress has been up band down due to work and holidays life in general!
However i’m still in the game and up to challenge 17 , during this time ive managed to find out what method of learning works best for me .
I find listening to 1or 2 lessons and getting to the end of them regardless , then going back 2 or 3 lessons and I get a better understanding of what ive learnt .
I also realise its going to take longer than I thought to become fluent!!
main thing is though , dwi dal mwynhau trio ddysgu cymreag .diolchyn fawr .[quote=“aran, post:1, topic:10504, full:true”]
What’s your WHY?

How would you finish the sentence ‘I want to be a Welsh speaker because…’?

Just ONE sentence…

I want to be a Welsh speaker because…

And what’s ONE thing you hope will happen when you are a Welsh speaker?

[Okay, okay, if you already are, what’s ONE thing that pleased you that’s happened because you became a Welsh speaker? :slight_smile: ]
[/quote]

1 Like

Dw i moyn gallu deall a siarad yr iaith o fy ngwlad. And if I have children I’d like them to be bilingual and be able to speak Welsh, & if I send them to a Welsh school, which I’d like to, I want to understand their work and school plays etc etc.

5 Likes

It can feel like a thrillingly secret society where I live in South Wales too! The Welsh speaking community is very much here, but I’d like to be a part of it!

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more!

1 Like

… I’ve always been fascinated by it (along with every language I’ve encountered!) ever since I first visited Wales on holiday as a child, along with the history and myths/legends of the region.

As with every language I’ve learned (French, Italian, German), I hope to be able to engage with its history and mythology “in its own words”, from its own perspective as opposed to the English versions which are often told from an English perspective - I don’t know if that is true for Welsh, but I’d like to find out.

6 Likes

You are going to have so much fun with Welsh! I would say this is very, very true for Welsh :wink:

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I live in a small Welsh village and believe I should learn Welsh. Also my family was originally from Wales.

I hope that by learning Welsh I will be better able to understand everyone at local community events and take a more active part in the community.

4 Likes