'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I started learning Welsh many years ago because I knew how much it would annoy my grandmother, who’d married a man from Haverford West & taken on the worst of the local prejudice against the language.
But of course that didn’t work for long term motivation.
When covid hit, I thought - why not see if I can do it now? Learn a language that isn’t based on Latin?
Well, here I am, having got fed up with parsnips, trying a different route…

9 Likes

…because I live in a mainly Welsh speaking village, and i want to expand the little Welsh that I know already, into being able to have a proper conversation.

4 Likes

I tried to learn 40 years ago and failed!

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I’ve moved to Llanidloes and I really love living here in Wales and finding out about the history, the music and the art. I think speaking the language is a really good way of understanding the culture and it’s a challenge!

7 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker to feel close to my lovely Dad who isn’t here any more, and because as a child I always felt a fierce love for Wales even though we were in New Zealand. I would love to return to Wales one day, and if I could speak Welsh I think I would feel part of the place and the people even more. And I’m really enjoying myself learning Welsh!

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker… because.
Honestly, I have no “reason” as most people would judge it. No pressing need, anyway. I live in Sussex, don’t really travel much except now and then to see family in Scotland, and have absolutely no need of any language but English in my daily life.
But if France being such a near neighbour is sufficient reason to teach French in English schools, surely a British language spoken on the same landmass is also a good choice?
I do need something to keep my brain active. I enjoy learning. I love words, and the cultural nuances you discover when you look into the literal meanings of phrases. I love stories both fictional and historical, and music.
What I want to happen? I want to understand more of the people in this United Kingdom. I want to watch Y Gwyll (my newest obsession, just got series 1, I know I’m very late to the party) and other Welsh shows without subtitles. I want to listen to beautiful music and understand the lyrics. I want to read new/old stories.

12 Likes

Dw i’n moyn dysgu Cymraeg achos dw i’n moyn siarad Cymraeg, a dw i’n moyn yr iath Cymraeg barau. Its my language

7 Likes

I started about 50 years ago and have been trying ever since, with huge gaps. However, I never quite stopped and I’ve been making much more of an effort in the past few years. And it suddenly became much more fun - surprise, surprise!
Anyway, we’re both on here, so we obviously never did really give up, did we? Let’s congratulate ourselves and on that, and keep going! :hugs:

4 Likes

Fi hefyd. My Dad (passed in 2019) would be so proud of me. :blush:

3 Likes

My father (who passed in 2019 at age 101) was from Llanelli and moved to Canada in 1952. While he lost his fluency of Welsh, he was a very proud Welshman, and managed to teach me some words and phrases (I wish he had taught me more!). I miss him dearly, but feel closer to him as I learn the Welsh language.
I’m heading to Wales in 2 (two!!) days for a vacation and hope to use my Welsh while there. While it doesn’t seem important in the whole scheme of things, for some reason, it means a great deal to me. Hwyl.

8 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I would love to read and understand music in the language, and feel closer to my Mom’s ancestors.

3 Likes

Hi new account here. My kids are in a Welsh medium school. I have been learning Cymraeg on and off for few years, Now is the time to throw what i can at it and get to grips as much as i can.

5 Likes

Hi Glenys. Can’t wait to siarad Gymraeg gyda ti. WHF

1 Like

I want to be a Welsh speaker because, even though I live in California, I hold a connection in my heart for my 2nd Great Grandmother who left Pontypridd in the 1850s to live as a frontier woman in America. That and it’s an amazing workout for my 75 year old brain!

5 Likes

I am moving to Wales and I want to respect the Welsh people by learning their language. I also want to connect to the Welsh landscape where the language was born from!

6 Likes

…my family (LLewelyn) immigrated to the United States from Wales in the early 1700s, and I’ve always been fascinated with history, genealogy, and re-connecting with ancestral energies. I’m going to visit Wales for my 40th birthday next year, and would love to be able to carry on a conversation with locals over a “peint, yn y dafarn.”

4 Likes

acos dwi n byw yn Cymru

2 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I’m absolutely hooked on learning the beautiful language, need to succeed to prove to myself and others that I can and would love to be able to use it when I visit Wales and hopefully sooner on slack (need to work out the tech and get brave).
Already I’m very much enjoying all kinds of Welsh music (hoping to make Tafwyl), TV, podcasts and books.

4 Likes

I’m a Russian immigrant, I’ve lived in Brazil since 2011. I love Welsh music and the legends. I studied the history of the Welsh people’s struggle to save their culture, their language and their identity. It’s an impressive feat. The Welsh people have an incredible love for their land, their culture and their history. I’m an artist, I’m dreaming of doing a scenic performance (dance and aerial acrobatics) under sound YMA O HYD (instrumental version). Also, I want to have Welsh friends. (I am sorry for my broken english, I’m not a native english-speaker).

4 Likes

I want to be a welsh speaker because I wanted a challenge for my brain as I am getting older.
As I live on the English side of the border I hope to be able to understand some Welsh when I am travelling in Wales.
The thing that’s pleased me most is finding friends who are also learning Welsh and their encouragement.
Diolch Alan, Dw i’n mynhau dysku Cymraig efo ch’di. Carol

5 Likes