'I want to be a Welsh speaker because...'

I visit Wales often as I love the country, so it would be nice to speak the native language.

7 Likes

I had that Eisteddfod experience too!

1 Like

I want to be a Welsh speaker becauseā€¦
my boyfriend is Welsh and it makes me really happy to speak to him in his language - and yes, I agree, feels like being part of a secret society especially if you speak it abroad! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because my husband is fluent and my children will be going to Welsh school. Also because I have a Welsh name I am asked constantly if I am a Welsh speaker and I want to be able to say yes!

3 Likes

because Wales is heaven on earth, I am coing to live in a Wales and I am part Welsh and because the welsh people are gorgeous !

4 Likes

I am a very proud Welshman but do not speak Welsh which at times makes me feel very embarrassed!!
I would like to have the confidence to be able to converse with any Welsh speaker.

6 Likes

I wanted to talk to my friends in Wales in Welsh but they say they donā€™t remember the Welsh they learned at school. Now I find Iā€™m just enjoying learning the language and may want to learn more about Welsh history later on.
If I ever get the chance Iā€™d like to live near Llanelli/Kidwelly. Jill

6 Likes

I love Wales, itā€™s a beautiful language, I want to enjoy the music better and my late father spoke Welsh so itā€™s part of my family history.

5 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker so that I can speak Welsh to my many Welsh speaking friends. They have encouraged me to become a Welsh speaker for so long and they deserve this from me.

7 Likes

it is something I wish I could have learned as a child in school.

3 Likes

I think it is important to support use of the welsh language, especially as I now live in Wales.
I hope that local people will be pleased that I am trying.

3 Likes

It will open up a new world for me when I move to my new life in Wales and I want to try and surprise someone who mistakes me for a native Welsh speakerā€¦if I ever get that good!

5 Likes

@thane Iā€™ve been there a couple of times. Itā€™s wonderful! It usually only lasts a couple of minutes. But more often itā€™s been more like, Where do you come from? You sound Welsh, but youā€™re not from around here.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I am sad that despite being Welsh I have never, ever had a conversation with anyone in my ancestral language and hope this course gives me an opportunity to change that.

6 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because it allows me insight into Welsh history and culture.
When I become a fluent Welsh speaker I will have that lovely, lilting, poetic way to express myself and my friends and neighbours in my new home in Tywyn will understand that their precious and beautiful language is appreciated by other people too.

9 Likes

I want to feel part of the Welsh speaking community.

4 Likes

How beautiful, @bushra :heart_eyes:

I started learning Welsh because I have lived here over 30 years and feel very ignorant that I donā€™t speak any Welsh and would like to live in a more Welsh speaking area in the future.

5 Likes

I would love to be a Welsh speaker and thatā€™s right as it will give me a complete understanding of the history of that era.

3 Likes

I want to be a Welsh speaker because I now live less than 35 miles from the Welsh border, and I canā€™t live that close to Cymru and not visit Cymru regularly ā€” and I canā€™t visit Cymru regularly and not bother to learn Cymraeg, can I?? Iā€™m on holiday near Conwy at the moment and am just stoked to see, and sometimes hear, the language all around me!! :star_struck:

7 Likes