How to say "Get Out"?

Another way I’ve been practicing speaking Welsh is to translate the dialogue I hear in trailers/movies (I mostly watch action movies so this is easier than it sounds).

Today I was able to translate the beginning bit of dialogue for something a character wss saying, but I wasn’t sure about the end. Here’s the phrase:

Cyn gwnawn ni dechreu, wyt unrhywn isio get out?

Would it be cael allan neu mynd allan…maybe mynd mas…or something else?

I would use the verb ‘gadael’ to leave in this context.

What about Cer or Cerwch = go

Mynd allan an Mynd mas is using the English form and is not correct in Welsh

Cer allan would be fine. You might like to say ydy rhywun isio gadael. This is more like “Does anyone want to leave.” Get out is more of a command. But I obviously don’t know the context…
Wyt appertains to “ti” - “you”, so needs reviewing…

I think this could do with the context of the original sentence. If it was “does anyone want to get out (of this place, because you don’t want to be a part of whatever it is we’re about to start)” then I agree with Maynard and Sums’s suggestion of “gadael” for “leave”. “Mynd allan / mynd mas” works too, but that suggests (to me at least) a more temporary, non-final kind of departure, like maybe stepping out for fresh air or something.

“Cer allan” (and its northern equivalent, “dos allan”) work as commands on their own, but you couldn’t say “ydi unrhyw un isio cer allan” - you’d say “mynd allan” as above. Perhaps a more idiomatic equivalent of that is “cer o 'ma” (or “dos o 'ma”), literally “go from here”.

The context…which I forgot in my original post because I was going to ask people to guess which I also forgot…is what Kinetic described; there are a bunch of guys that get in an elevator on various floors and, after the elevator is full, the main character asks if anyone wants to get out before things get started.

It’s not an order…like “Get out of here!” more of a question that isn’t really one. I’m guessing gadael or cer 'o ma would be appropriate.

(Thanks Kinetic…your post also answers a what am I hearing question I’ve had for a while)

Stick with Kinetic on this - ‘ydi rhywun isio’ will only work with ‘gadael’, not with 'cer o ‘ma’… :sunny: Using ‘cer’ after ‘isio’ would sound a bit like a ‘Does anyone want to / behave yourself right now!’ mix between the infinitive and imperative…

So the final phrase would be something like…
Cyn gwnawn ni dechreu, ydi unrhywn isio gadael?
…where gadael is get out? I really need to review grammar syntax and terms!

By the by…did anyone figure out which movie this is from?
If not…here are one or two more hints.

Ar d’chwith

Oedd o’n gwisgo parasiwt?
Nac oedd. Nac oedd doedd o ddim

I’d go for ‘Cyn i ni ddechrau, ydi unrhyw un isio gadael?’ :sunny:

1 Like

As to the film, sorry, I thought it was obvious but I guess it’s only obvious if you’ve seen it. I’ve got an 11 year old lad so we’ve seen nearly all the Marvel films at least 4 or 5 times … at least.
So … I’ll leave it for someone else also. It is a good scene though. :wink:

1 Like

Who cares about that film when the trailer for Avengers 2 just came out?!

3 Likes

Cerwch allan! Gadael! or the other way round?

I had no idea what it was, but I just googled for that in English and realised it was something I’ve actually seen! Not by choice, mind - someone I know was going to see it at the cinema a few months ago and invited me. I was so bored, I was just sat there waiting for it to end… right waste of money! I really can’t get into this comic book business.

And yes, I know, I’m a bad geek, and I’m letting the side down and so on. Sorry. :slight_smile:

You are not a bad geek for not liking a comic book movie…if you were, I’D be a bad geek.

While there were a few scenes I loved in Captain America II (basically everything I quoted), I was…undewhelmed…by the movie as a whole. However, it is an excellent film to translate while watching.

1 Like