How do you say "one" in this context?

the sorts of old books that things like that seem to pop up in are the victorian era things, that google seems to have scanned from obscure books gathering dust in libraries like Harvard etc, the ones that are often looking to find linkages to the lost tribes of israel and weird etymologies for place names or claiming the caucasus were once part of a Welsh speaking empire etc, so no authoratative or trusted sources by any means, but I have come across that idea at least a couple of times and its stuck in the subconscious and because it seems plausible I’ve wondered about the possibility?

eg a quick search dug up this one:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=xzcQAAAAIAAJ&pg=PP24&dq=yr+hwn+yr+hon+yr+hai&hl=cy&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiNnceCw9jaAhWCCMAKHWO3Ap84ChDoAQgKMAA#v=onepage&q=yr%20hwn%20yr%20hon%20yr%20hai&f=false

1 Like

Fair play, the only reason I knew that Cael and it’s brothers = get, Is because I learned from the challenges.

Anyway,.talking of langpol,. Did you notice that I skirted around the word gotten :grinning:

1 Like

Ah, right - that’s VERY old, isn’t it? It’s even got the long S!

1 Like

1764 if my interpretation of Latin numerals is correct.

1 Like

I’ve always thought of “preserve” or “retain possession of” in relation to cadw.
Prompted mainly by Cadw…

Edit to add:- geiriadur.net seems to back my idea up:-
http://www.geiriadur.net/index.php?page=ateb&term=Cadw+&direction=we&type=all&whichpart=exact

Don’t forget that in your English example ‘ones’ is superfluous. For instance, “What about these?” is far neater than “What about these ones?”.

I used to get fed up with pointing out to my kids to no avail that “my one” and “my ones” should be replaced by “mine”. Dads,eh?

1 Like

“I don’t have an alarm clock” = “Sgen I ddim cloc larwm”.

1 Like

someone has handwritten something interesting on the title page

Technically superfluous, 'appen, but very very natural English, isn’t it? Especially “these ones”.

(Ere, you baint be one of they language pleece be you? (Maybe Language PCSO…? :wink: )

Yes. If you read some of the rather fanciful ideas in the book, it seems that the author was on the search for the Language of Heaven, or at least the language of the Garden of Eden, and he concludes after a whole bunch of Biblical literalism and wishful thinking that it was probably Celtic.

1 Like

It’s nothing to do with policing the language but about understanding that colloquialisms, commonplace or otherwise, rarely translate word for word. Translation, however formal or informal, is about moving ideas and concepts accurately from one language to another and not about substituting words on a one-by-one basis. The better we understand the source language the more chance we will have of being able to render the meaning faithfully in the target language.

Couldn’t agree more. Possession in Welsh is thought of differently: the entire concept is approached from another direction. Ownership is more specific if we start involving words like “perthyn”, but the use of have in English is rarely understood to be ambiguous (but context brings specificity). For most people, it’s use is subconscious and natural, because the speaker understands instinctively what they are trying to say (and they always hope the listener uses/understands the words used in the same way the speaker does).
The SSiW way of learning is to absorb in a natural, almost childlike way, words and phrases that are used “in the wild”. That’s why the forum is such a good backup/research tool!
The langpol referrals are always tongue-in-cheek, because we prefer to keep things light…

2 Likes

Translating the Cockney expression “had it away on his toes” would be quite difficult I think.
(and if we leave out the “on his toes” then it has quite another meaning, but we won’t go there).

A certain Gareth Watkins recommended a book to me:- Geiriadur Idiomau and I find it very useful for finding idiomatic equivalents. Aran persuaded me a while ago that translating was difficult and that finding equivalents was more like it!
I also use Geiriadur.net to find very interesting phrases based on a word…