How do you say 'I need to' in Welsh?

I’m really sorry for the silly question. I know the answer of how to say it is in the first challenge but I have searched online for the way that they say and I can’t seem to find it anywhere! I just would like to see it written down, that’s all, just to check that I’m saying it right! I have been listening to the South Wales version.

Mae eisiau i fi. It’s in the vocabulary list for challenge 1.

2 Likes

Hi,

Related to Mia’s question,

I understand Mae eisiau i fi but also came across the word “isie” Does it mean the same?

I know dw i’n moyn [slang for want] locally but they also seem to use angen or eisiau for need?

I would be grateful for opinions please. I live in Gorslas, Llanelli

Thank you

Isie is an alternate spelling.

1 Like

Yes, that’s actually the same word, just written as it would be spoken rather than in it’s written form.

and “dwi’n moyn” isn’t slang, it is a fully correct way of saying “I want” that’s used mostly in the South.

3 Likes

Thank you so much for the quick replies.

2 Likes

In the Northern course you would hear " Dw i angen" for " I need" or also “mae angen i mi” .

4 Likes

dw i’n moyn [slang for want]

I’m pretty sure “dw i’n moyn” is not slang but simply a regional “Southern” way of saying “I want”.
Being a needy person, I say it several times a day. :smile:
edit: I’m glad to see that @siaronjames made the same point before me. :slight_smile:

The topic of moyn/eisiau/angen and the pronunciation variants (ishe, isho) is dealt with elsewhere. I’ll try and find the link if no-one gets there first.

4 Likes

Dw i angen is perfectly OK for I need as well, both with things and actions. §396 :scream:

Dw i angen rhagor o goffi
I need more coffee

Dw i angen dal y bws nesa
I need to catch the next bus

Note no yn! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I need to = I must ? rather than I want/need something - Mae rhaid i fi

1 Like

Along the same lines, I’m OK with saying I need to do something, “mae eisiau i fi fynd” / “I need to go” but what about needing something? How would you say “We need milk” or “I need bread”? Is it just “Mae eisiau i fara”? Is that even correct? But this doesn’t convey the sense that I need it, just that it is needed.

Dan ni angen llefrith
Dw i angen bara

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. Is there an “eisiau” version?

Yes - you can say

Mae eisiau bara arna i

if you like. My experience is that angen is more common for need in most contexts these days…then again, as we all know, Welsh is famous for variations in usage, isn’t it?

1 Like

I think you might also hear ‘mae eisiau bara arna i’ down south - or I might be imagining that - @Iestyn might be able to shed some more light on this… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Blimey, this Welsh thing is complicated. I might just stick to shouting at the dogs. Although, weirdly, they seem to have started to understand “Beth am i ni fynd am dro?”

3 Likes

I don’t think I ever use the word ‘angen’ - unless I’m talking to someone from north Wales :slight_smile: - mae isie rhywbeth arna i is what comes naturally.

3 Likes

On the subject of no “yn”, Brigitte above gave the (also northern) variant of:

“mae angen i mi” which I also would have written / said (without “yn”).
(although I might also have said “mae angen i fi”).

Can you confirm that it’s correct not to use “yn” here?
(I automatically found myself not using it, btw).

I ask because I’m pretty sure with “rhaid”, you definitely need “yn”, i.e.

“mae’n rhaid i mi” (or “fi”).

Why would there be a difference between “rhaid” and “angen” in this case?

Many thanks in advance.

I confirm.

No you don’t. Not only is the yn optional (and less frequent) with rhaid, but also the whole Mae (+ optional yn) can be and is dropped. All these are therefore correct:

Mae’n rhaid i mi fynd
Mae rhaid i mi fynd
Rhaid i mi fynd
I have to go

with the last one my personal preference.

In other tenses you can’t drop the verb (in other words: no verb with rhaid = default present), and the yn again is optional. I wouldn’t use it myself.

Roedd yn rhaid i mi fynd
Roedd rhaid i mi fynd
I had to go

9 Likes

Many thanks for taking the trouble to explain it so fully Gareth. :slight_smile:

2 Likes